Second batch blues...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
After the first batch went pretty well I thought the second batch would go real smooth. Heh...not.

Took my eyes off the kettle for just a couple moments while I went inside to get hops and come out to just the hiss of propane...boil over put out the burner and clogged some of the jets. Ok...it was outside so could have been much worse.

Get things going again and I'm a bit rattled so then screwed up the second and third hop additions, putting each drop in 20 minutes too early in the sequence. Darn...

The brew is MWS Amarillo Pale Ale and I planned on dry hopping this with 1/2 oz of Citra hops.

Since I screwed up the two pitches of the Amarillo and put them in too early should I up the dry hop to 1 oz of Citra to try to make up for the early Amarillo additions? I sampled the wort and it's fairly sharp as it is (1/2oz Columbus, 2 oz Amarillo) in a 5 gal batch.

I say if it tastes like it got enough outta the hops then let it roll unless your a hophead. Btw a boilover is like a rite of passage so congrata. We've all done it

I find Citra to be a potent aroma hop and I only used half an ounce in my batch. I would think that an ounce would be plenty. With the Amarillo added early you may not get the orange aroma that has been reported from them but instead will get more of the pineapple or mango from the Citra.

OK. I think I'll stick with the 1/2 oz of Citra and just roll with that.

OG is ~1.054 and used S-05 yeast, rehydrated.

Main floor is ~67F, basement will be a few degrees cooler. Where should I ferment it?

Forgot to mention, the hops are leaf not pellets. Does that change the suggestions regarding 1/2oz or 1oz?

Back