Seattle Keg Hunting -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maztec

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here from Seattle or nearby and know where a man can rustle up a few kegs to convert into keggles? Or have any recommendations on where to search?

I have already called around to a few local microbrews, but have been told that they don't really have old kegs as they are embossed and they get them refurbished if they go bad. Apparently embossing a keg costs quite a bit.

Thanks!

- M

Some kegs are beyond refurbishing in a cost effective manner. If your looking for legit kegs that's what you want. If your into a long drive you can try Full Sail in Hood River, OR as they sometimes have kegs for sale.

Keep trolling Craig's List. That's where I got me final one. Larry's said they are really hard to come by now. I did find one at a LHBS in greenwood that had a few but they didn't know the exact price and never called me back. I think he wanted about $100, uncut.

On another note, I was at Red Hook last night and they were flaunting their extra kegs. They'd turned about 5 into nice keggles, buffed the outside and then filled them with dirt and put flowers in them. It's almost like they were saying "Hey homebrewer, I bet you wish you had this but Martha Stewart beat you to it."

Craigslist is about the only way I have had any success. You have to be willing to drive a little though usually. Most of the ones I have found have been south of Seattle.

Two of mine came from a friend that found them in the middle of the woods while camping. The third was from another homebrewer that had cut the top out already, but hadn't made it into a full keggle yet. I traded a 5 gallon batch of my Blonde Ale for the first two and paid $30 I think for the cut one. I see them posted on CL all the time too though.

A while ago back I called I called a beer distributor here in western wa and asked about buying a legal keg...........This the basic answer I got.

All of the kegs go back to the brewer. We dont sell empty kegs.
The taverns pay a 45$ deposit on each keg. You pay the Tavern 65$ or more. After 30 days no one gets a deposit back.

Get the Idea.

A while ago back I called I called a beer distributor here in western wa and asked about buying a legal keg...........This the basic answer I got.

All of the kegs go back to the brewer. We dont sell empty kegs.
The taverns pay a 45$ deposit on each keg. You pay the Tavern 65$ or more. After 30 days no one gets a deposit back.

Get the Idea.

That in a nutshell is the fly in the ointment. If the system of deposits is broken then how can they point dirty fingers at anyone for cutting their kegs for a brew pot.

Seriously, I'd like to see the deposit system be more like pop bottles. You could take them back to anyone and get your money back.

Edit: Seriously you would think that this would be a serious enough issue that the big breweries would come up with a solution.

I surf Craigslist pretty regularly for beer stuff (you'd be surprised at some of the crazy stuff that pops up when you search "beer") and i generally see 1 or 2 posted a week. Sometimes they're already converted for you.

I surf Craigslist pretty regularly for beer stuff (you'd be surprised at some of the crazy stuff that pops up when you search "beer") and i generally see 1 or 2 posted a week. Sometimes they're already converted for you.

One thing I forgot to mention is to ask about keg condition and thickness. I found that a bunch of the kegs listed on CL were the side bung or old thinner walled kegs. Not exactly what you want. What I did was ask what the name on the side of the keg was and how big the handle is. The thinner kegs have smaller handles on them. It could save you a trip.

Back