Seasoning your homebrews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatewood

Reaction score
Hey ppl!

I've begun wondering how could I begin spicing up my stale, plain sugar homebrews and fruit wines. I've read that, for example, red wines get some seasoning (if thats the correct word) from the wooden casks they are fermented in. So I took the tip and began gathering some of the aromatic woods around my pad, then shredding and putting them in a net (sort of like how you make a tea) and dipping them into my latest batch.
Also, I'm thinking of adding tiny amounts of rosemary and basil essential oils into the mix (kind of how they put into vinegars in luxury restaurants).

What do you think? Do they sound like good ideas?

Anyone willing to share some brewing flavoring secrets of their own?

Last edited:
I'd be very reluctant to put wood from around my house into my alcholic beverage. Best to get oak from your LHBS or if you can responsibly fell a tree yourself and inspect for bugs... Even then I'd still rinse with 180F water prior to use.

Wood around your house likely has fire retardant or bug resistant chemical on it.

Dogfish Head uses Palo Santo and New Belgium uses French Oak to name a few... the surface area:volume ratio in their Foeders is such to give very little wood character (as is the repeated use).

I'd encourage wood blocks or spires. Avoid shredding, chips or dust.

My favorite flavorings for my brew are
1. Zests of most citrus
2. Stonefruits
3. Spices such a stick cinnamon, bitter orange peel, vanilla bean and juniper berry. In my opinion clove can be too much in a beer.
4. Ginger root is also nice.

Wood around your house likely has fire retardant or bug resistant chemical on it

Likely? If that's the case where you live, I suggest you move.

To the OP, I recommend checking out The Homebrewers Almanac https://www.scratchbeer.com/single-...-Foraged-Ingredients-Available-September-13th

Lots of weird ideas there for adding non-traditional flavors to your brews. I've found the book to be somewhat inspirational, even if I am still too scared to bitter with burdock root!

I'd be very reluctant to put wood from around my house into my alcholic beverage. Best to get oak from your LHBS or if you can responsibly fell a tree yourself and inspect for bugs... Even then I'd still rinse with 180F water prior to use.

Wood around your house likely has fire retardant or bug resistant chemical on it.

Dogfish Head uses Palo Santo and New Belgium uses French Oak to name a few... the surface area:volume ratio in their Foeders is such to give very little wood character (as is the repeated use).

I'd encourage wood blocks or spires. Avoid shredding, chips or dust.

Yes, I live pretty much in the wilderness and have some fine smelling wood around, cutting some branches will provide all the wood I would need for a 100 batches.

Why dont you recommend adding wood chips (they would provide the highest surface area)? Im planning on putting everything inside a cheesecloth, inside a net, so I dont get wood in the final product.
Im also checking which saps/pitch might be poisonous.

Likely? If that's the case where you live, I suggest you move.

To the OP, I recommend checking out The Homebrewers Almanac https://www.scratchbeer.com/single-...-Foraged-Ingredients-Available-September-13th

Lots of weird ideas there for adding non-traditional flavors to your brews. I've found the book to be somewhat inspirational, even if I am still too scared to bitter with burdock root!

Ok! thanks for the contribution.

Gotcha, if you live out in the wilderness then they should be fine. I thought you meant within your household items.

Wood chips are probably okay if you're cutting them yourself, but it can pick up wood character quickly so be vigilant!

Gotcha, if you live out in the wilderness then they should be fine. I thought you meant within your household items.

Wood chips are probably okay if you're cutting them yourself, but it can pick up wood character quickly so be vigilant!

You mean that, the brew will take too much wooden scent/flavor?

Flavor, and yes: over-oaking is a thing, that's why most folks shy away from chips - they give up their flavor too quickly.

Oak is the most commonly used wood, but others are messed around with. Schell's in MN still uses cypress foeders for their sour line.

Flavor, and yes: over-oaking is a thing, that's why most folks shy away from chips - they give up their flavor too quickly.

Oak is the most commonly used wood, but others are messed around with.
I see, any other advice you might want to share?

Schell's in MN still uses cypress foeders for their sour line.

Hmmm... what's that again?

I don't have all the answers on adding wood to beer - start low and see what you like. No way to do it without experimenting. Most folks suggest to start with oak cubes - they're maybe 1cm/quarter- inch-ish on a side, of either American, French or Hungarian oak in different toast levels. There are also spirals, honeycombs, balls, chips, dowels, etc., and can all be prepared and used differently. Do some research to see what you might like best.

Schell's brewery in New Ulm, MN, many decades ago, got some cypress foeders from somewhere and still use them for their Starkeller line of sour beers. Think of a foeder (pronounced "footer" sorta) as a giant wooden barrel standing on its end, not lying on its side.

Most foeders/barrels and other woods used in brewing are oak, but as homebrewers, our small scale allows us more options. Don't think that the Homebrew store is the only place to get ingredients!

Last edited:
I don't have all the answers on adding wood to beer - start low and see what you like. No way to do it without experimenting. Most folks suggest to start with oak cubes - they're maybe 1cm/quarter- inch-ish on a side, of either American, French or Hungarian oak in different toast levels. There are also spirals, honeycombs, balls, chips, dowels, etc., and can all be prepared and used differently. Do some research to see what you might like best.

Schell's brewery in New Ulm, MN, many decades ago, got some cypress foeders from somewhere and still use them for their Starkeller line of sour beers. Think of a foeder (pronounced "footer" sorta) as a giant wooden barrel standing on its end, not lying on its side.

Most foeders/barrels and other woods used in brewing are oak, but as homebrewers, our small scale allows us more options. Don't think that the Homebrew store is the only place to get ingredients!

Hmmm... I was thinking about seasoning as a whole, but that's some good information too, thanks :)

Also, as I suggested in the thread, adding tiny amounts of basil and rosemary essential oils do give fruit wines some fancy fine flavors, like you're drinking from some Italian vineyards.

Also, as I suggested in the thread, adding tiny amounts of basil and rosemary essential oils do give fruit wines some fancy fine flavors, like you're drinking from some Italian vineyards.

Definitely check out Homebrewers Almanac. I've used rosemary and orange in a Saison - it was nice.

Back