Seasonal Question- Using Brew Pot as a Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mchlhgn1

Reaction score
Hey,

I have an eight gallon brew pot that I was thinking would make a good turkey frying pot.

If I used it for Turkey Frying would I be able to go ahead and clean it to use for my brewing again without affecting the flavor of my beer in the future?

Thanks.

I wouldn't do it. I did a country boil in my brew pot, and it smelled of sea food for months after I cleaned it. Though u could go ahead and do it and then get a nicer brew pot... which is what I did.

Another no; once you fry oil & and a turkey in the pot, it will be tough to clean good enough for beer. Another turkey...sure.

what about using the turkey fryers (the ones with the 30qt kettle and burner) as a brew pot and burner? they have them on sale at walmart for $45

I use an electric turkey fryer and really like it because the thermostat makes it easy to control temperature. It holds about 3 gallons of liquid which is plenty for partial boils.

I would never consider using it for anything else. The oil or flavoring will never wash out.

what about using the turkey fryers (the ones with the 30qt kettle and burner) as a brew pot and burner? they have them on sale at walmart for $45

A lot of people (including me) do that. Its just not advisable to use the same brew pot to fry a turkey or do a lowcountry boil / clam bake.

Back