Seasonal Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjmac85

Reaction score
So I noticed my LHBS advertising on the site that they have some new hops in stock. I also know that sometimes they run out for the rest of the year. This makes me want to stock up on hard to get hops. Which ones typically run out or are hard to get until the next season? Also whats your favorite place to buy hops?

The hardest hops to get at the moment are Amarillo, citra, and simcoe. You just missed a crazy sale from hops direct, and they probably won't have hops that cheap until next spring. Some of their prices were as low as $3 per pound.

Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo for US hops and this year there is a shortage of Hallertau and Perle so I am told...

When I need to buy bulk I try to use Hopsdirect and Freshops but shipping can be killer from those guys depending on where you live. I have to give props to Farmhousebrewingsupply.com for using the USPS and flat rate shipping. FHBS is going to give me a complex with how fast they fill and ship my orders...

One day I may actually give FHBS an order and just start brewing the beer the next day and wait for the mail courier to bring me my hops... :D

Living in Hawaii right now I was considering using Northern brewer for the fact that they do 7.99 flat shipping. I see that being the biggest deal right now.

it's also time we'll start seeing some of the southern hemisphere hops come into stock.

While the standard thing about getting your Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra applies -- if you see 'em get 'em. I would look into stashing some of the Aussie and NZ hops that are starting to hit.

NB just got in a crap-load of Galaxy, that's a good one to stash away, and if you start to see the Neslon Sauvin (sp?) hit I'd grab up some of that too. Those both appear to be really unique hops that would be great to play with.

Scott where are you seeing Nelson Sauvin? I had a homebrew named "nelson sauvin ale" at a local homebrew comp (not in my flight, it was being served in the commons on tap) and it was amazing. I can't seem to find them anywhere though. Much appreciated!

It's still a little early to see the NZ hops. Not far off though. Def get a lb of sauvin and galaxy. Both are great hops

Yeah.. it is really early -- but NB just got a crap load of Galaxy. When I get a chance to look in the box I'll let you know if it was last years harvest. It may be they are getting inventory dumps before the new stock rolls in. Either way NB had a big announce last week that they got in a large shipment.

Back