Searching for Arrogant Bastard Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYJRL

Reaction score
I would love to attempt an Arrogant Bastard Clone. If there is anyone who brewed one that was really close do you mind sharing what you did? I know some are saying that there are way better beers out there than that but in my defense this beer is what started my brewing adventure 4 years ago. I find it very delicious and refreshing.
Thank you

That thread is a very loooooooooooooooooog one. I've been following it as it develops.

The original 'Can You Brew It' clone was basically 90% 2-row, and 10% Special-B, mash around 150 F, bitter and flavor with lots of Chinook hops, and ferment with an English yeast.

I've made a pretty good beer, similar to AB with this recipe.

But, as the thread develops, I think you will find the latest development of the recipe used Caraaroma instead of Special B.

If you like the beer, better learn to brew it, as it appears Stone has stopped making it.

I had good luck with the can you brew it 10% / 90% recipe with special B. For my setup 8% / 92% and mash at 147 got me closer. I certainly don't have a BJPC certified palate, but I did a straight up comparison against a bottle of the real stuff. It was pretty damn close!

If you like the beer, better learn to brew it, as it appears Stone has stopped making it.

Is this actually documented somewhere? I know they've gone on the road and are brewing it at a bunch of other breweries, but I don't see where they are going to stop making it altogether (unlike some of the others like the Pale Ale, Levitation, and Sublimely Self Righteous).

Hey!
Actually I know, with our suspect secondary and possibly the best back in football on the bench it's not looking good going into Foxborough to upset the champs. Just glad the whole deflate-gate drama is over. Not a Brady or Patriots fan by a long shot but that whole mess was ridiculous.
Sorry OP,
:off:

Is this actually documented somewhere? I know they've gone on the road and are brewing it at a bunch of other breweries, but I don't see where they are going to stop making it altogether (unlike some of the others like the Pale Ale, Levitation, and Sublimely Self Righteous).

Say it ain't so! That was one of my favorite beers with a quite appropriate name. I used to get it on tap all the time.

Thank you all. Just joined a bit ago and haven't really had time to search so I appreciate it.

Thank you all. Just joined a bit ago and haven't really had time to search so I appreciate it.

I just brewed mine last weekend. I used the "Can You Brew It" recipe, see below. Good luck!

Recipe: Stone Arrogant Bastard Clone

Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 20.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 87.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs 1.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 90.0 %
1 lbs 7.2 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
1.20 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 95.0 min Hop 3 41.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 4 29.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 16.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [20 Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 8.4 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Step Add 29.66 qt of water at 154.8 F 148.0 F 40 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 1.42 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------
Mashed at 148F, 1 hour, then 160F for 10min before mash-out.

I've heard a lot of people talk about how this recipe was very similar so I'm gonna go to the home brew shop within the next month and grab the grains. I'll post up how it goes

Latest posts

Back