Sealing washers for weldless fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
I have seen the posts on here that some people have problems with the standard o rings that come with the weldless fittings. Alot of people have swapped out the standard o-rings for silicone sealing washers from mcmaster carr.

I was thinking about doing the same but before I ordered the ones of mcmaster I figured I would check out the local lowes. I came across these guys.

They are rubber washers center hole is 3/4 inch, diameter is 2 1/4 inches and they are 1/8 inch thick.

Besides these not being food grade do you think these can be used on a weldless fitting?

IMG00126.jpg

IMG00127.jpg

you could use them, but since you dont' know the heat ratings, you could end up with rubber-flavored beer. Or they might be fine.

If you're looking for a simple solution, check the dollar store or tj maxx, ect for cheap silicone bakeware. usually you can find pieces for a buck or two. You can cut a bunch of washers out of one baking pan.

I have one in the inside of my MLT which stopped an annoying leak. I haven't noticed any off flavors so far, this is after about 15 batches. I do want to eventually replace it and get a proper bulkhead setup with high temp orings, but it works so meh...

[EDIT]
For more emphasis here is a pic:

IMG_0635.jpg

I think that the only caveat would be using them on vessels that reach boiling temperatures (212*F). On a vessel that goes over 200*F, I feel it would be safer to use a washer made from Viton or Silicone.

It would be used in my HLT, MLT and boil kettle so 2 of the 3 wouldnt reach boiling point but one would.

Maybe it is just better ordering from mcmaster.

I've also read you can use a baby bottle nipple which you cut up to seal weldless fittings better. They are silicone.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/ne...ttings-homemade-siteglass-105826/#post1163006

since that post I have gone to welded fittings; but the nipples met the needs for weldless.... I was a pretty big pro-weldless guy but I got sick of adjusting everything to find that sweet spot every time i used the equiptment so I just met up with Mr. Tig and did away with it all... $6 for a pack of the nipples is a great investment though!

It would be used in my HLT, MLT and boil kettle so 2 of the 3 wouldnt reach boiling point but one would.

Maybe it is just better ordering from mcmaster.

Just order the right thing the first time. It sucks having to redo it later. Also while you are there you may want to order some other goodies. Like QD's and high temp hoses.

i used that in my 5 gallon mash tun and an o-ringed on the works better than o-ring no flavor from mine yet

99604A127 mcmaster carr

had good luck with these, 5.80 for pack of 10.

they are a tight fit on a 1/2 nipple but they work well.

i've got them on my keggle and mash tun. no leaks

washer.jpg

Latest posts

Back