SE Virginia grape growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
i have never made wine. i live in virginia beach. my dad offered to grow the grapes if i make the wine. what grapes should i plant for red or white wine. i am open to muscadine or other wierd wines.

Well according to "from vines to wines" you have a good selection of grapes you can grow. (You may want to pick the book up if your interested in growing wine grapes) I am thinking of growing grapes in a couple years once I am in a more permanent spot.

Chardonnay, Riesling, Sauvigon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Seyval Blanc, Vidal 256, Cayuga, Aurora, Chancellor, Foch, Villard Noir and Chambourcin.

I've visited several wineries in the Roanoke area just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Does your dad also live in the VA Beach area? I'd suggest visiting local wineries' websites and see what they grow. I know if I lived in Central VA I'd be growing Cabernet Sauvignon and Norton.

we are both here in VA beach. it looks like we have some to choose from. any idea where to by seeds? i definitely will pick up some books. thanks for the replies.

You won't be buying seeds, you'll be getting either potted or bare root plants. You can get them directly from a local nursery or buy them online from nurseries.

For your area I would suggest either chambourcin or cab franc for reds and chard or viogner for whites. You definately want to buy a couple simple vinticulture books before you plant.

Latest posts

Back