Scum in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAfodder

Reaction score
Hi all, Doing a better brew czech pilsner kit and its been fermenting two days now and bubbling away nicely :) but noticed a lot of brown scum sitting on top of the froth in the bucket. So in haste I opened up and give it a stir with a sanitised spoon. When I made the brew I used sugar and light spray malt and noticed the malt went lumpy when added and although I thought I'd dissolved it through stirring, maybe I didnt get all of it and that's what the scum is. Do you think that by stirring mid fermentation it will have affected the yeast??

Just to add I am a beginner and this is only my 2nd brew so apologies if this question is a stupid one lol

DO NOT STIR!
Once the beer begins fermenting you do not want to introduce O2 to the beer as it can cause oxidation!

The brown scum is the krausen and is totally normal in the fermentation of beer. Once fermentation completes the krausen will drop and help clear the beer.

It may not be ruined, but it will most likley not be as good as it could have been. It should still be drinkable if you did not oxidize it too much.

Bugger!!! Too late!! Stirred it. Is it ruined now ya reckon?

Assuming you did not stir too vigorously and create a lot of froth the beer should be okay, especially because it is still at high krausen.

Just to know, oxidation can create a wet cardboard, sherry like taste to the finished beer so if you get that you will know where it came from. Once the beer is finished oxidation becomes a much bigger issue so be very careful when transferring/racking/packaging so as not to introduce O2.

Kicking myself now! Suppose ill just have to wait and see. I literally had the lid if for a minute or so but hey ho, all part of the learning curve I guess

I thought that I had ruined a batch of Oaked Arrogant Bastard ale Clone I had made. I let it sit for 9 months and it came out wonderful. It was awful the first time I tried it.

Josh

Keep in mind that that "stuff" above the krausen ring is full of bitter flavors and even when the brew is finished it should be left behind when siphoning the beer to the bottling bucket.

In any case, it's too late now to change it but you know for next time!

Thanks for the advice guys! I didn't stir it vigorously at all and hopefully with it being early in fermentation stage (36 hours to be precise) I might have got away with it. Only reason I thought something was wrong was because my first brew (ipa) had the froth, but no scum n it turned out great! Anyway, ill have to see how it goes.

Thanks again

Glenn

Ps, josh, I definitely won't be waiting 9 months lol, if its not ok tasting within a month, its probably gonna be down the drain lol

Back