Scrooge McDuck's Lucky Ale (Strong Scotch Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzgp

Reaction score
I have decided to try a Strong Scotch Ale in my new 10 gallon all grain setup. I thought it might be fun to post what I am going to brew ahead of time. I love Scotch Ales, especially the very high alcohol content variety. Its a talent to be able to hide 10% + in a delicious package.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter: 2L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.101
Final Gravity: 1.023
IBU: 27
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 25 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 66F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 66F (or longer if you can wait)
Tasting Notes: Peaty and biscuity goodness with high maltiness.

8.0 lbs Maris Otter
8.0 lbs 2-row
1.0 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (10.0 SRM)
1.0 lbs Victory
1.0 lbs 6-row
1.0 lbs Nocturnal Select
5.0 oz peated malt

0.75 oz Simcoe - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Simcoe - Boil 15.0 min

1.0 pkg Nottingham Ale Yeast

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%

Single infusion mash at 155F for 60 minutes. Mash out at 170F for 10 minutes. Boil 60 minutes, add hops as directed and I use Irish moss at the 15 minute mark.

This beer is going to be my first all-grain Strong Scotch Ale. My first Scottish ale was an extract from NB, and I have made 3 using the BIAB method since. I am using a mix of Maris Otter and 2-row to experiment with my grain bill. Between the Victory and this Nocturnal Select grain, I think it will maintain the biscuit taste and complexity while not requiring brown sugar like I have in the past. I kept the 6-row in, maybe only psychologically, since I have done a bunch of specialty beers recently(like my pumpkin ale) and like how it added something. I am also using Simcoe, which I love, but if it doesn't turn out I will edit this post and say I used something else.

Back