Screwed up two batches in one day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ineedaride2

Reaction score
A new record!

I brewed both a Surly Furious and Stone IPA clone last weekend, and I managed to mess up on both.

On the first, I didn't add an ounce of the flavor hops at fifteen minutes and again at 5 minutes. I should've been adding an ounce of two different hops at both time points, and only added one of the hops. Not knowing what else to do, I tossed the leftover hops in with the yeast before I lidded it. I don't think this will be the end of the world, but we'll see.

On the second, I did everything correct during the boil, but instead of leaving my dry-hopping......hops out, I dumped them in with the yeast starter as well. I'll get to find out how badly fermentation takes away the flavor of dry hops, I guess.

I used pellets for both batches, if it matters.

I'm just curious which was the more grievous error.

Ok Both of which are aroma hops right. I think the fermentation is going to kick a lot of the flavours. Probably should have held off on both until fermentation has completed. I have dry hopped around pitching time and didnt get any aroma in the end. Check it out at the end of fermentation when you take gravity readings and maybe back add aroma hops to your liking.

That's an excellent idea. I need to order some hops right now and toss them in when fermentation is done. Problem solved, at least for one of them.

Yeah, both were aroma hops.

Back