Screwed up my first All Grain Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannylerch

Reaction score
I accidentally added about a gallon of mash/sparge water to my primary fermenter to bring my boiled wort up to 5 gallons. (had a few too many to drink that night) Since the mashtun is bacteria laden, and the water I used was never boiled and it came in contact with the grain bed, do you think this stout is ruined? Should I throw it out or see what happens? Or should I bank on a pretty sour chocolate stout?

Not sure exactly what you did here.

If it was just plain, unboiled extra water, then just let it ride. The chances of your drinking water being that bad are pretty low.

If you put unboiled wort with your boiled wort, all bets are off.

Either way, it's already fermenting away, so there isn't much to do but wait. No use tossing it because it MIGHT be bad. If it tastes good in a couple weeks, drink it. If it is horrible, toss it then.

Damn, I'm such an idiot. That's the last time I get totally **** housed before brewing.

Provided you had a good takeoff from your yeast I'd not worry about it too much, by and large yeast will out-compete most things, then the alcohol will take care of the rest. YMMV obviously, but don't chuck it for a few weeks

That's the plan. I'm just going to let it condition a little longer. Maybe give it three weeks in secondary and a month in bottle.

you can try it before you waste time in bottling, it will be flat though. if your not used to what a flat beer tastes like in that style i recommend buying a similar beer and pour it into a glass and stir it with a fork until flat. and we have all messed up a batch before most are usually salvageable, but infection is pretty serious. good luck.

Wait and see, take your process through to bottling, if its infected when your ready to bottle tip it, otherwise wait and see. I'd not be too optimistic though DMS, wild yeast, bacteria... There's a lot of bad mojo that could be in there :(

Back