Screwed up grain bill; conversion questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indigi

Reaction score
I'm doing a beer tomorrow that's got roughly 45% unmalted wheat in it. I'm trying to do a wit, but more toasty and caramelly so it's more wintery. (It's for the birthday of a friend who loves wits.) The problem is that to do this, I decided to replace all the pils/pale malt with Munich without thinking. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the diastatic power to convert nearly that high of a percentage of adjuncts.

I'm probably going to rush to a local store tomorrow morning and pick up some 6-row, and was wondering how much would be enough? One pound?

Alternately, I have a bag of amylase enzyme from Austin Homebrew. I'm pretty sure it's alpha amylase because the instructions say it will denature in an hour over 158*. I wonder if I add some of that to the mash without the 6-row, would it do a good enough job? I know not many people have experience using it and I'm probably better off going with the 6-row, but I'd love to save myself the 1.5-2 hours a trip to the LHBS would take since tomorrow's going to be a double brewday.

Update: I did the protien rest at 122* for 30 minutes and infused it to sacch temps for 90. Still wound up only getting about 50-53% efficiency into the fermenter :( I topped up with some DME to get the OG to where I wanted it, but next time I'll make sure to include some 2-row in the grain bill.

Back