screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhunter87

Reaction score
well.... my first all grain batch was going perfectly... like.. really great with the exception of my brew size. I only have a 6 gallon kettle, so I lessened my hop's by %10 (as directed by my local home brew store). looked great.

after chilling and racking to my primary, as I was going to add my yeast...

This is the first time I used Wyeast, and I bought the all grain kit from an online brew store, so that just came with it. when I took it out of the packaging I squished it pretty hard and as I pulled it out, it was already swelled up. soooo I assumed it was already popped so I didn't try to pop anymore... I then proceeded to pour in my yeast (after letting sit swelled over night) and low and behold... it wasn't popped. I think the altitude change made it swell maybe?

soooo I poured the popped liquid into the wort as well. I figured I"ve already screwed it up and wanted a chance at at least something to drink.

did I screw my brew up bad? or is it still save-able?

I'm buying an 8 gallon kettle tomorrow... ugh

What you did is no problem at all. The inner packet is nutrient, not yeast. The yeast is what you poured in. The nutrient is not critical. If you poured it in afterwards, no big deal.

thank God...

since I ended up making a short batch but used all of the yeast, will it mess anything up or taste funny?

I don't get your LHBS instructions. Did you simply make a smaller batch (reduce the grains and final volume too) or did you have a smaller boil, then top off. In the latter case increasing hops is the wrong direction. Even if that's the case, no real worry you're only talking +/- 10%.

thank God...

since I ended up making a short batch but used all of the yeast, will it mess anything up or taste funny?

Oh, I see you made a smaller batch. So your hops are probably fine. And it's not likely the yeast amount is a problem. In general, overpitching is probably better than underpitching. In fact you'll find that a Wyeast smack pack is really only good for up to 1.040 (if you subscribe to the pitching rates advised on mrmalty.com - despite what the pack says).

First two times I used Wyeast Activator packs, I couldn't get the nutrient pouch to pop... I just poured those into the wort along with the yeast... Everything was fine, so your batch will be fine too...

I have since learned to really isolate that little bugger and SMACK it hard enough to break it... I also feel around the package to make sure the nutrient pack is emptied. For the third and fourth time I used Wyeast, I actually punched the nutrient pack (the main package held up fine). Last time, I just smacked it hard enough to pop the inner pouch...

This is another reason I like washing my yeast... Reduces the number of times you worry yourself over nothing...

I do make starters for almost all my brews... Doesn't matter if the yeast is fresh, or washed.

oh gosh here's what happens

I only have a 6 gallon kettle and need an 8 because I have to boil the whole wort not just a few gallons like extract.

so I used 4 gallons for my mash then 1 gallon for mashout leaving me with 5

after boiling that will leave me with 4+/-

he said to decrease my hops and yeast by 10% to account for the lesser amount of wort

my OG was 1.050 when the directions said it sould be 1.040... not a big deal... just a little boozier beer right?

ugh

Stronger Beer = GOOD TIMES!!

Get yourself a 32-40qt pot (turn it into a kettle, makes things easier)... Keep your 24qt for heating sparge water...

I went with an aluminum kettle... 32qt, with lid, ran me about $45... I installed a 1/2" ball valve in it too. Conditioned it before I used it for the first time, and it's been great ever since. The ball valve in the kettle really comes in handy when it's time to get your wort into your fermenter. Mine drains a full 5 gallons (or a little more actually) in under 2 minutes (closer to 1 I believe)... So easy, it's almost funny... Especially when you compare with using either an auto-siphon or funnel (for a carboy) and less chance of getting hurt when pouring into a bucket. Done all of those, ball valve method wins for easiest. It even moves fast enough to aerate the wort. :D

Are you using BIAB or a mash tun??

I'm still tweaking my converted cooler... Today I added some insulation to the top and the back where the hinges are (spanning the entire thing)... need to see how it holds the temp on the next brew day.. I suspect that if I preheat it properly, and have my grains at inside air temp, then I'll not have the temp loss I did last brew day... Dropped about 2F over 90 minutes... Was looking for more like <1F drop... :D

Hopefully, come next winter, I'll be doing most of the brewing indoors, and just boil the wort outside... :rockin:

he said to decrease my hops and yeast by 10% to account for the lesser amount of wort
ugh

With your parameters of 4 gal 1.050 (Ale, I assume), the mrmalty calculator says 1.4 packs (or make a starter). So, you definitely didn't over pitch.

Sounds like you're on your way to a nice beer. Good luck!

Back