Screw Top Pails: Good for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering what the experienced have to say about using screw top pails for fermenters and secondaries. I found these in a catalog and the price is nice ($12).

Here is the link: http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_8173.asp?desc=Screwtop+Pails

Now the size is limited at 5gal, but using two wouldn't be out of the question.
I have used this screw type to hold some organic fertilizers for the last 6months and they do keep the smell in. Even chicken manure :eek:

Plus, I would need to drill out the hole in the top. Not too hard.

Thanks for any insight. I won't be ordering anything for some time, but I want to be as informed as possible before ordering any equipment.

the first thing i'd try and find out before using this would be is this a food grade plastic. it says FDA approved resins but i'd call the company and make darn sure it was safe for food use. looking at the site, the regular non-screw on lid buckets are fda, usda and nsf approved. i think i'd trust those ones more than the screw on

I would also say that if you are brewing five gallon batches, a five gallon pail isn't enough. No head room for krausen. Or anything else for that matter.

Plus the food grade comment is also a concern.

Gedvondur

If the resins are FDA approved I would be shocked if it is not food grade. I think the FDA has a higher bar for drug products than food products. FWIW

I only use those for my primary fermentors. Actually, my LHBS sells a 6 gal version so that is actually what I use. I'm not sure if I would use a 5 gal version though. Not a lot of room at all!

But as far as the screw-top goes, I love it! I've seen video's on line of people's lids blowing off, and at least mine will never do that. Although I do also use a blow-off tube for my first 3-5 days of primary, just to make sure I'm not creating a bomb!

I only use those for my primary fermentors. Actually, my LHBS sells a 6 gal version so that is actually what I use. I'm not sure if I would use a 5 gal version though. Not a lot of room at all!

But as far as the screw-top goes, I love it! I've seen video's on line of people's lids blowing off, and at least mine will never do that. Although I do also use a blow-off tube for my first 3-5 days of primary, just to make sure I'm not creating a bomb!

I have seen a number of post as well that basically say " I can't keep or get my lid on!" With the threads, it takes care of itself. Good to know there are 6gal versions out there. Thanks.

i have a screw-top pail along with 2 other bucket with the more traditional lids. There's no problem with it, but i can't say that the screw-top is better or worse than the regular lids.

I think you have to place a minimum order of 5 as well. So that might make the $12 price a little less attractive.

Unless you can find other takers of course.

I have seen a number of post as well that basically say " I can't keep or get my lid on!" With the threads, it takes care of itself. Good to know there are 6gal versions out there. Thanks.

If you can't find the 6 gal versions anywhere near you, I'm sure you can call my LHBS and they will be more than happy to sell it to you over the phone. They are in the process of getting their website up so it's not complete right now and they don't have their catalog up yet. But go to www.brew-wine.com and you can get their phone number there.

If they won't help you out, let me know (send a PM) and I'll go there and slap them myself as I buy one for you and send it off to u.

Good luck

If they won't help you out, let me know (send a PM) and I'll go there and slap them myself as I buy one for you and send it off to u.

Good luck

Thanks jay075, but there will be no need for any slappage.....yet. :) I am really just trying to improve my equipment list when I purchase anything in the not so near future. I am a bit practical and like to know what I might purchase is worth the money.

Back