Screw top bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally no. However, in emergency situations they can work.

Some people have reported success (usually using a bench capper, not wing), but I wouldnt suggest it unless the only other option is to dump (Say you ran out of bottles with a few more beers left in the bottling bucket).

If you are a few short, go up and buy you a 6 pack of Bud American Ale. Not a bad beer at all for the price, only $5.99-6.99 a six pack, and about the cheapest cappers out there.

If you are a few short, go up and buy you a 6 pack of Bud American Ale.QUOTE]

I love Bud American Ale!!! I am a huge fan of Abita Amber, guess im going buy a couple six packs of them this weekend. the bar here on base saved me some bottles, but when i asked i forgot to specify pop top. I have about 10 pop top and 17 twist top. I figure to bottle my 2 gallons id need 22 bottles. Im gonna get some of them O2 absorbing caps and a wing capper ( cheapest ) and try my best.

1 more question. People like corona, and it comes in clear bottles. I have now figured out why it has always tasted like skunk piss to me, but i have a few of them bottles. should i use them?

You can use them just keep them out of all light. Its not the greatest idea but it will work if you keep em in a dark area and drink them fairly quickly.

thanks. I guess for my first brew it wont be bad to use the clear and screw top bottles. im not expecting it to be great or anything. i didnt look any information up before i brewed it, just followed the directions with the kit. it is only 2 gallons so if its that horrible i wont feel too bad about throwing it out, or giving it to the homless who live under the interstate here in NOLA (hehe) jk jk. but anyway. i will try harder this next batch, whenever that is and applied some of what i have learned in the forum, oh and in between i will be sure to play plenty of beer pong to get me some empty pop top bottles.

Thanks everyone!

Back