Screen for brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timschram

Reaction score
We have to brew outside (near the end of a garage) and, although it has not been a big problem, we are worried about contaminants getting into the wort during boil and runoff.

We have a kettle that we have not been able to find a screen that you use for frying that is big enough. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

buy some window screen and make a frame for it?

That's our thought, just don't know how to go about making one. Was hoping we could buy one. Been discussing how to make our own.

What could possibly be a contaminant?

The boil will kill anything and racking will allow you to leave solids (a fly perhaps) behind.

I brew outside and have never been concerned about contaminates. I even brewed with tons of cotton from the cottonwoods flying around and into the wort. The beer turned out fine. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

i always brew outside, never had a problem. Once i wandered off and a bird took a dump into one of the keggles but that'll go thru any screen as well : )

I was actually thinking about a screen for the same reason. However, as someone else pointed out, screen wouldn't keep sand out if the wind blows too hard. Also, my kettle gets pretty hot, not sure a screen would hold up although there are metal versions. Even though it's a screen, it may also alter the boil off rate and in the end would be mire trouble than it's worth.

look up "pizza screen" they make all different sizes, I am sure one would fit over the kettle.

Not sure how large your kettle is. You might be able to buy a paint strainer bag and stretch it over the top.

Why not just use a lid? I cut my kettle specifically big enough to fit a 12" clear glass lid so I can see the boil happening without worrying about things falling in.

The only time I worry about something falling in my kettle is after I've cooled the wort and am waiting the whirlpooling to settle the trub in the middle of the kettle. By that time, it's cool enough to put a plastic trash bag over the top of the kettle with the immersion chiller still in it (but the hoses disconnected). Learned this one from Mike Karnowski's recent book: "Homebrew Beyond the Basics:..." Great book by the way. Lot's of great reading, pictures, tips and recipes.

Skip-It.jpg

Why not just use a lid? I cut my kettle specifically big enough to fit a 12" clear glass lid so I can see the boil happening without worrying about things falling in.

You don't want to boil with the lid on. The boil helps drive off DMS which causes a cream corn off flavor.

Back