Scratches on the inside of carboy neck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbrewing32

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have an old carboy from 1925 that apparently scratches easily. I was cleaning with a metal braided carboy brush and Oxiclean when it scratched the **** out of it. I know that sometimes it looks like a scratch but is just metal residue. I tried cleaning with oxiclean and a brush - no luck.

Is this okay to use? Will it make the neck weaker and possibly cause cracking? Should I retire this fermenter?

Thanks for your help!

I wouldnt use it again except for some sort of sour maybe, even then id be nervous. Scratxches are notorious for harboring bacteria. Most sanitizers are contact sanitizers and its just toohard to get all the tiny surface area in teh scratches to clean it

I think I would continue using the carboy. Scratches in glass might be less rough, than scratches in plastic, and easy to clean out and sanitize.

I had what looked like scratches in one my carboys. Turned out to be metal residue from the brush stem. I cut a diagonal slot in a air lock bung to put the stem of the carboy brush through. Like a bore protector for cleaning rifles. No more metal residue or possible scratching.

I'm thinking is it residue but I don't know. Is there a good way to remove it??

By the way great idea on the brush bung solution

When I still used a carboy brush I marked the neck of one in a manner similar to what you are describing. No problems. Still using it. I

'm not sure if the glass was scratched or burnished by the metal of the brush. It's not a problem though. Seems to be fading away.

Now I never use a brush. A gallon or two of hot Oxyclean cleans things up great.

Back