scratches in stainless steel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxwrench

Reaction score
Are there any problems besides possible rusting from using a scratch pad to clean s.s boil pot. I know you clean with that but acquired a used pot that had been cleaned that way..

I would think that as long as the scratches arn't really deep youwould be fine. If you have to scrub it, use a scotch-brite pad. NO steelwool!

You can re-passify the area of the scratch to prevent rusting, but depending on the type of scratch it could provide a hiding ground for nasties, but as long as you're boiling in it I don't see a huge problem with that. If the scratch is big you might look at the way aluminum pot users build an oxidized layer to help protect the process.

Long story short, relax and enjoy a home brew.

If you are worried abou it, go find some Bar Keeper's Friend. It is a good cleaner for stainless and can re-passivate the stainless steel so that it won't rust.

I just used it on a dirty, rusty 20 qt pot that I found in one of the barns at the family farm and it took off all of the rust and made the pot look nice and shiny.

Be aware that it does contain oxalic acid, so it would be wise to wear some chemical resistant gloves and not ingest / adsorb any of it.

ok, thanks for the advice. So there is no worry about any kind of metal leaching into my wort during boil?

Does anyone know how I get rid of these scratches on my pot bottom? (See pic attached)

20141009_093903.jpg

Back