Scratches in new Blichmann Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flokason

Reaction score
I just bought a new 14G Blichmann Conical and extension.

There are small scratches, or puncture marks on the conical where the racking hole is.

Also there is a small scratch on the extension, see attached pictures

These are not deep scratches, but deep enough to feel them with your fingers.

I contacted Blichmann and they (John B.) said this was just superficial and shouldn't matter.

But I think when I pay extra to get Blichmann, the quality should be top notch. Returning this would be hard since I live in Europe and shipping them back would cost alot $$$.
I did order them though through my LHBS wich is the offical Blichmann seller here.

What do you think?
Any other Blichmann conical owners that can report how their conicals are?
I have also a 7 g blichmann conical, and while I can see the marks from the puncturing machine, they are not this deep

conical1.jpg

conical2.jpg

To me that would be totally unacceptable, I would return that and make blichmann pay for all shipping costs..that should have never left quality control looking like that..

I'd be disappointed as well. I don't think it's possible to buy a metal product that isn't scratched up in some way, shape, or form these days. Given the cost of Blichmann, I'd expect better from them, though. I went through something similar with my Boilermaker. There was a large, long, deep scratch on the outside. Purely cosmetic, but I find that hard to stomach given the price. Blichmann customer service simply commented "Let us know if it corrodes." The store that sold it to me replaced it for me. The new one was much better but there's a big scratch on the lid. I think it's just how it goes in this day and age. None will likely be perfect, so you have to decide what you can live with.

Given your location, I too would work out a partial refund and handle the scratches myself. BobbyM has the right advice in my opinion.

Back