Scratched Better Bottle Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

platypotamus

Reaction score
So, I went and picked up a Jet bottle and carboy cleaner, partially in order to avoid scratching my better bottle with the carboy brush. I used it to clean out my bottles, and found it to work amazingly well - a real time-saver.

When I tried washing out the carboy with it, though, I slipped and the little jagged-edged copper bar that activates the spray slipped and entered the neck of the carboy. You can see, in the photo below, that it left a minor scratch right inside the lip of the carboy neck (just to the left of the reflection from the flash). My question is - did I just destroy my carboy, or is that not going to be a problem, since it is located where the stopper sits?

bigger size image here

I have had a similar thing happen to several of mine. Think about where it is though. Your stopper is going to (hopefully) cover that up, no? I wish the folks that make that jet washer would make that bar a little longer.

In short, I don't worry about the scratches in the neck. If they were in the body, that might be different. YMMV.

I wouldn't worry about it since it's not in direct contact with the beer, but I'd still spray plenty of StarSan on there each time I clean it. If you do run into problems, you can always use it as a fermenter for sour beers.

thanks for the responses. this is about what I was thinking / hoping to hear.

jet washer bar needs to either be longer, or capped with plastic.

Yeah, I have some scratches in the neck of some of mine, too.

As mentioned, I would not worry about it. You can get to those scratches, so just make sure to clean and sanitize them well.

Back