Scrape and Dump Trub From Kettle During Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiejason

Reaction score
I feel like I ought to know the answer to this question and have tried to find it by searching the forums. Somebody *has* to have asked this before but I'm not finding it.

During a boil a bit after hop additions, I get some trub type material around the edge of pot just above the waterline. I'm not sure if that stuff is hop particles, hot break particulates, some other misc proteins, etc. For my first few brews I had surmised that it was hop particles and I actively stirred them back in to make sure that I maximized the use of the hops. Since then I decided that it could be a lot of things besides hops and might contribute to off flavors. I've thus since scraped that stuff out with my brew spoon and dumped it.

What's the recommended practice? Is that just hops that should be stirred back in or was I right to scrape it out of the pot during the boil?

It's dark colored. Brownish in color. I agree that it's likely most hops an possibly some break material. I Just didn't know if by the time it was sticking to the side if the pot if all of the acids had been extracted from those hops and I ought to just scrape it out to have one less particulate to have to get out later or if, instead, there was still some hoppy goodness left in that stuff that I ought to be stirring back in.

It's mostly pellet hops turning back into grainy particles that collect on the sides of the kettle. I scrape it back in to make sure I get everything out of them I should be. After the chill,it gets poured through a fine mesh strainer anyway.

Back