scottish export 80 / -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winzerz

Reaction score
gonna brew this tomorrow on sunday

first time using liquid yeast

midwest kit

made a starter
going great on counter

it tells me "Scottish ales benefit greatly from an extended boil"

tells me to go 60 min on first hops added at begining of boil

and boil and additional 30 min adding flavor hops 10 min before flame out

so a 90 min boil?

is this right as I read it?

thanks for any input

:mug:

Looks like a 90 minute boil to me. They worded those instructions strange but I think they mean:

90 minute boil

90 minutes left in boil: add bittering hops
10 minutes left in boil: add flavoring hops

I typically do 90 minute boils for most of my recipes, it helps prevent DMS etc. and in a Scottish ale it also helps caramelize some of the sugars to give it more mouthfeel.

You can't go too wrong following the instructions from Midwest, but the extended boil may not be neccessary. That kit already has amber dme and crystal 40. That will give you a decent amount of caramel flavor without a long boil. I'm also not sure whether DMS is an issue when using extract. It's already been boiled.

You can't go too wrong following the instructions from Midwest, but the extended boil may not be neccessary. That kit already has amber dme and crystal 40. That will give you a decent amount of caramel flavor without a long boil.

It will have a caramel flavor, but by caramelizing more of the sugars with a longer boil, they become less fermentable. Then you get a slightly higher ending gravity which contributes to more mouthfeel, which is desirable in a Scottish ale. Either boil time would make a good beer though.

I agree with the above posts.
I recently brewed a 80/- and I only boiled for 60mins.
Used stepped some Crystal 40L and 120L and it turned out great.
So either way you'll be fine. Comes down to your time and energy used. I have a gas stove, so using less keeps my costs down without sacrificing quality.

Back