Scottish Ale Yeast as house strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
Anybody using Scottish Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1728) as a house strain, or at least tried it in some non-Scottish styles? I've been using 1968 London ESB in most of my beers for a couple years and I feel like I know plenty about it, so it's time for something new!

I've got a starter going for brewing a Wee Heavy this weekend, and I intend to make some extra yeast for fermenting something else later on. I'm so tired of boring California Ale - that's why I've been using 1968 for some unique beers.

What kind of flavors can I expect from 1728 in other beers from people who have used it?

1728 has become my go-to strain. It's incredibly versatile. At the low end (55) it can be nice and clean, or bring out subtle smoky hints in a scottish. At the high end, you can get some really nice fruity estery things going on. I've used it on my scottish ale, some porters and stouts, a citra hopbomb of an IPA...not a complaint about it yet.

Cool. I just drank a bit of the decanted starter liquid (that was probably from some amberish grist in the past) and it had a fruity honey flavor to it. After drinking this, I realized that there must be several breweries using this in their amber ales because it's such a unique flavor that I've had a few other times. I guess I need to run it through some of my commonly brewed styles to get a sense of what it can do.

Just finished fermenting the Wee Heavy and an IPA with this yeast. It achieved incredible attenuation - I was not expecting that based on Wyeast's stats. The Wee Heavy went from 1.085-1.019 and the IPA from 1.062 to 1.012.

Both beers were mashed on the lower end, especially the IPA (150 and falling).

I really need to try this yeast with my usual brown ale, APA, and some sorta amber before I can make a call on it.

Back