Scottish Ale, too cold for the yeast I used?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havinafett

Reaction score
Hello everyone

First post, second batch.

My friend sent me a Northern Brewer Scottish 80 Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains. Brewed it on Nov 2nd. OG was 1.048.

I used Edinburgh Ale Yeast WLP028 which recommends a fermentation temp of 70 degrees.

Actual temp reading on the thermometer stuck to the fermentation bucket was about 64 - 66 for the majority of the 2 weeks it's was in there.

I was going to leave it in the primary fermenter for a month then bottle but I was getting the itch to brew another batch this upcoming weekend so I racked it to a carboy to sit for another few weeks so I could use the bucket.

I took a gravity reading yesterday and it was 1.026.
I'm not sure exactly what the FG is supposed to be on this beer but I'm just curious to see what others think.
Should the gravity be lower after this amount of time?

I'm worried that it was too cold for the yeast to really do their thing, although I did see active fermentation happening for the first week...

I'm thinking you're just fine but i'd let it sit for another week. A good three weeks fermentation time on beers under 1.060 OG is my usual routine, and four weeks to six weeks for beers over 1.060 depending on how high the OG was. Letting the beer sit another week might not lower the gravity any further (it might) but it will benefit the beer to hold it on the yeast cake another week to clean up. My rule of thumb is, once my hydrometer is consistently the same reading for 2-3 days in a row, then the beer is done primary fermentation and needs a "rest" period to clean up acetylaldehyde (green apple flavor), Diacetyl (butterscotch flavor) and any other fusel or precursor alcohols.

So, yeah. Chill. Let it sit another week and then bottle it. :)

I just bottled that same kit last week and it fermented at about the same temp. Interestingly my FG was 1.012.

Great beer btw. Even at just one week in the bottle I can tell it's going to be great!

Alright, I'm going to let it sit for a week or two in the carboy.
all I can do really is wait and see where it goes

thanks for the info

Back