Scottish Ale Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
I know there are different kinds of Scottish Ale Lvls. Such as 60, 70, 80, Wee heavy. When I have drank some versions of these various ales I have found several different kinds of beer. On kind of scottish ale I have had is Malty strong and quite sweet. While another kind was more heavy mouth feel (stout like) with a more smokey less sweet flavor. That second smokier version that I had was at a micro-brew and they were calling it Wee Heavy. My question is...are all Wee Heavies like that...and other not Wee HEavy styled scottish's are of the sweeter thinner bodied style?
If that is the case, I am trying to find a recipe for the heavier strong smoky version of Scottish Ale. Does anyone have any suggestion's? My lhbs seems to have a kit for the sweet scottish ale:( .

I'm going to nudge this. I'm planning on doing a Wee Heavy as one of my next few batches (not immediate, because I have limited equipment right now. SWMBO needs to see some RESULTS before I'm justified adding more fermenters.

I've recently found myself addicted to Belhaven's Wee Heavy, it seems the only one I can find.

However, I've noticed that a few places actually classify the Wee Heavy as a Scotch Ale, not a Scottish. This is further added by seeing a Wee Heavy referred to as a 90/- ale, 80 was the highest a Scottish could be.

So when looking at recipies for Wee heavy, also perhaps check out Scotch Ales.

But I'm interested to see what people say about Wee heavy here...

I'm not sure that this will help but if you haven't listened to The Jamil Show I think it is worth the time. He covers Scottish Ales in the October 9th show at this link. http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php

It might give you some insight into the type you are trying to brew. I don't know enough about Scottish Ales to suggest anything more useful.

Do NOT USE smoked Malt in your Scottish Ale.......it will be some sort of dark smoked beer if you do. Scottish Ales contain 0 smoked malt. Try brewing a 60 or 70 befor the Wee Heavy, this will let you get the taste of what a Scottish is all about. Just my .02$

ohiobrewtus has an outstanding Scotch Ale that I had the pleasure of trying tonight. If you like Belhaven or McEwans you'll love his. Not sure if he's posted his recipe or not though.

Kevin Dean said:
However, I've noticed that a few places actually classify the Wee Heavy as a Scotch Ale, not a Scottish. This is further added by seeing a Wee Heavy referred to as a 90/- ale, 80 was the highest a Scottish could be.

Scotch Ale and Scottish Ale tend to be used interchangeably and Wee Heavy is a variant of the style. Typically the scale is 60/ 70/ 80/ Wee Heavy.

TheJadedDog said:
Scotch Ale and Scottish Ale tend to be used interchangeably and Wee Heavy is a variant of the style.

Oh, yes, I know. And I made no statement of what that implies. :) I dont' care about styles, only taste. But, my point was that the OP has a beer in mind he wants to make, and calls it a Scottish ale. I'm just pointing out that looking at Scotch Ales might also help him find a kit or recipie that hits his mark. :mug:

Thanks for the compliment Brewtopia, but I can't take all the credit. My wee heavy is this kit with a few of my own tweaks...

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_43_246&products_id=1582

I could not be more pleased with how it turned out. I'll be trying an AG version within the next couple of weeks and once that's done I'll post the recipe for all who are interested if I'm happy with the results.

Back