Scottish Ale recipe grain and yeast differences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning on making a recipe similar to this AG kit from Northern Brewer (Spiced Winter Ale All Grain Kit -- Inventory Sheet) but I had a couple of questions for the group.

The recipe calls for Simpsons Golden Promise but my LHBS only has Maris Otter. I see that a lot of other scottish ale recipes don't use the Simpsons or even the Maris for that matter. Any thoughts on the differences the malts will make in the flavor of the final product?

I was going to use the S-04 yeast instead of the 1728 yeast. I guess I am concerned that if I use the S-04 and the Maris then I will miss the style completely?

marris otter is very similar to golden promise. it will still be a scottish ale. the key is the longer boil, the specialty grains, and the yeast. i don't think the s-04 would really be true to the scottish style.

+1 on the yeast. You need a low attenuating yeast that does well at low temps. Fermenting at 60-65 is pretty key to style to avoid esthers.

Sounds like a good experiment, I will split the batch and use the 1728 and the S-04. I will plan to ferment the 1728 at 62, thanks for the advise.

Back