scottish ale flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hey guys one of the brews that I've never tried to brew or find a commerical example of is a scottish ale. I understand that some scottish beers use peat smoked malt but what else seperates them from a irish or english style ale? What kind of character does scottish yeast strains add to differ them from other styles? thanks for any info.

Scottish yeast strains are pretty similar to English strains. Lots of kits just use English or Irish strains. The main style difference is that Scottish ales have a higher Gravity to bitterness ratio. They tend to taste malty to very malty. One good example that should be available in a store that sells exports is Belhaven. You might be able to find a Sam Adams Scottish ale which is a decent example. A really good example of a Wee Heavy is Three Floyds Robert the Bruce. I read once that the peat smoked malt is actually not technically correct (maybe Brewing Classic styles?). But I really do like a hint of peat smoke.

Let me know how your batch does? I'm about to brew the same as well this Saturday? I'm using 7 Bridges 90 Schilling Scottish Ale with White Labs Edinburgh yeast, and I'm eager to hear what other(s) have done with it.

Cheers!!!!:mug:

I read once that the peat smoked malt is actually not technically correct (maybe Brewing Classic styles?). But I really do like a hint of peat smoke.

I read that in Brewing Classic Styles too, and a couple months ago made the scottish ale 70/- from BCS. Zainasheff specifically said that many judges even will expect peat malt, but that adding it is actually wrong for the style. So the scottish ale that I made without any smoked or peat malt from BCS actually DOES taste a bit like there's some smoky malt in there, like JZ said in his discussion on his recipe and the style... I can't explain it, especially cause I used WLP001 as was suggested in that specific recipe... which seemed kinda odd. For 5.5 gal batch, the malts were:

6.5 lb maris otter
1 lb cystal 40L
.5 lb honey malt
.5 lb munich
.25 lb crystal 120L
3 oz chocolate malt

and hops:
.75 oz EK Goldings 5% (60 min)

OG 1.041
FG 1.017
15 SRM
14 IBU

Mash 158F

He says cold conditioning the beer at 40F for several weeks will improve it, but I never did that. It's delicious as is, and a light alcohol brew I can drink all evening without falling over.

Given that the version I made from BCS does taste a bit "smoky" even though it was with WLP001, I guess the only explanation is the combination of the specialty malts.

Jamil went on and on about not adding peat smoked malt on his podcast, too. Take a look at Northern Brewer's Scottish 70/- ale kit, it's a simple a grain bill but has just a hint of smoky goodness, probably a bit of roasty character from the choc malt.

I brewed NB's kit, used White Labs' Edinburgh strain, and it came out pretty close to the Belhaven. The longer it sat, though, the more it mellowed and became an exact clone of it! I set aside a sixer for six months; this was the best beer I've ever made, full stop. Just ordered another kit last night.

I've had this happen to me before too, but not on purpose. I made a Goose Island Honker's Ale clone from my LHBS, and there's definitely no smoked or even deeply roasted grains, and yet there is a hint of peat-like smoke. It must be something the yeast is capable of (in this case London ESB 1968). I kept a single bottle of it to see if it will change.

Cool deal guys, I didn't know that the smoke flavor didn't actually come from smoked grain, thanks for all the responses.

Just to confirm, you can absolutely use smoked malt. It's up to you. Sam Adams' Scotch Ale uses it, and it is WAY noticeable. I prefer the mystique approach ... ;)

Back