Scotch Eggs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpig

Reaction score
A little something to go with your homebrew:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ9tPw8MEOg[/ame]

How to Make Scotch Eggs

Psychic. Last night I told a friend I'd find a recipe and make some this weekend.

Beer first though. Sobriety prevents the full flavor of the dish from coming through. :drunk:

I had these at a brew pub in Indiana last year. I ate them for supper. Then I went back the next nite and ate them for supper again. Then a few weeks later I went back for a trip and took SWMBO and ate them for dinner again. I've not found them since. They are heavenly. Didn't realize they would be so easy to make.

They were a short-lived appetizer at the brewpub where I work. No idea why they didn't take off... I told people they were like eating deep-fried breakfast!

There are still about 3 or 4 peope who come in and ask for them everytime....

EDIT: I'm brewing a Scottish Ale this weekend... Maybe when it's ready, I'll have "kegs and eggs"...

Seriously, they are so easy to make and such a welcome surprise to your guests. Plus they go amazingly well with homebrew. In the video, the first shot of beer is my first ever pint of homebrew, which just happened to be an English Ale.

I also make my own sausage for my Scotch Eggs. And I like some chutney or HP sauce to dip them in.

That sounds amazing. Any particular chutney you find goes real well? Care to post a recipe? I make my own sausage as well. I live in Iowa where there are pigs-a-plenty.

That sounds amazing. Any particular chutney you find goes real well? Care to post a recipe? I make my own sausage as well. I live in Iowa where there are pigs-a-plenty.

I usually will buy Cross and Blackwell hot Mango Chutney. I use the sausage recipe below.

8 oz. ground veal
8 oz. ground pork
1 cup shredded or finely chopped suet
Grated rind of one lemon
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon sage
Pinch of thyme, savory and marjoram
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 egg yolks

Mix all ingredients except egg yolks together, then bind the mixture with egg yolks.

I also roll mine in breadcrumbs as opposed to cornflakes.

I think I might have to make these today.

My recipes is not nearly as impressive sounding as the one above, but they sure were tasty!

scotch eggs.JPG.jpg

I'm made them a couple of times. We brought them once to a party with a lot of vegetarians :p

Here are my tips:

Buy medium eggs - they are easier to wrap.

After peeling, roll the eggs in a little bit of flour. This makes them less slippery and easier to work with.

Form the sausage first into a thin patty and then put the egg in the middle and fold it up, pinch to seal, and then pat to even the sausage out.

Deep fry and enjoy!

I'm tempted to try some using "New York Deli-style Hot Italian" sausage. Just found a source of that in bulk.

I also like to slice them & add them to a hoagie/sub/hero.

I loves me scotch eggs too!! :D

I never heard of the cornflakes thing though. It's always been bread crumbs for me. That video has a point about the mustard too. It HAS to be Coleman's....None of that bland hot dog mustard crap. :)

That video has a point about the mustard too. It HAS to be Coleman's....None of that bland hot dog mustard crap. :)

I need to find some prepared Colman's, because I used a recipe where you make a mustard out of the powder (and some honey, vinegar), and it was terrible! I ended up dousing it with Frank's Red Hot instead!

I need to find some prepared Colman's, because I used a recipe where you make a mustard out of the powder (and some honey, vinegar), and it was terrible! I ended up dousing it with Frank's Red Hot instead!

How long did you let it age? If you don't speed up the process by heating it, you must let it age quite a long time. It is horribly bitter and unappealing otherwise.

How long did you let it age? If you don't speed up the process by heating it, you must let it age quite a long time. It is horribly bitter and unappealing otherwise.

No time at all! :drunk: It was just a "dipping sauce" recipe that came with the Scotch eggs recipe. I seem to remember another thread about mustard, maybe I will go a-searching.

I'll take the powdered at a real pinch, but you are right. It needs to be the prepared stuff in a jar. I have NEVER been able to make any proper table mustard from the powder. I would only use the powder in a curry or something.

I use dry mustard in lots of things, but never to make mustard. It just seems wrong. Like buying powdered milk to make milk when you can just get a gallon of milk!

You guys need to hear my words :D The homemade Mustard I served at last year's O'fest got rave reviews. You're doing something wrong. Powdered Mustard is the base ingredient that Mustard companies use.

You guys need to hear my words :D The homemade Mustard I served at last year's O'fest got rave reviews. You're doing something wrong. Powdered Mustard is the base ingredient that Mustard companies use.

Yep. One look at the ingredients label says it all. Ingredients:- Mustard. :)

I still can't make it like the Coleman's in the jar though. :(

My parents could do it well, but I can't ask them any longer....Buggers!

We made them for supper less than 5 hours from the first tiem I've ever heard of them.

We'll be doing this again soon....maybe again tonight.

Watch out! There's like some kind of law of physics that states if you eat more than 3 of these in less than 48 hours, your heart will automatically combust!

Oh wait... I forgot the asterisk at the bottom of the law... you just need to drink copious amounts of homebrew and all fat and plaque-causing materials will melt away. :mug:

k I couldn't stand that video, so I searched for something with text. I found this recipe and It's freakin awesome! I deepfried them though instead of baking, because baking Scotch eggs is for poofters.

Back