Scotch eggs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EoinMag

Reaction score
I bought some nice free range eggs, two packs of 80% pork sausage meat and made some scotch eggs.

It's pretty easy.
Softboil the eggs, shock them in cold water to stop them cooking when ready.
Let the eggs cool then peel them.

The recipe uses breading which is to have three vessels, one with plain flour, one with beaten egg and one with breadcrumbs, go from the flour to the egg to the breadcrumbs to crumb anything, works for chicken etc too.
Get a ball of sausage, shape it flat in your hands and then form it around an egg, wet your hands to smooth it out. Then go through the aforementioned breading process.
Cover eggs and then deepfry them at 180c for about 6-7 minutes or until nice and golden brown.

They're nice either hot or cold.

scotchegg.jpg

I love them, but my wife doesn't like pork. So, I make them with ground beef mixed with sausage seasoning. I also roll them crushed Wheaties. The slightly malty flavor is nice.

They look good, but have nothing to do with scotch eggs really.....The trick with the ones I do is the soft centre, delicious.

Interesting, I've never had them with the yolks so soft, even in some of the "Irish" pubs in the states, every version I've ever had, or made, the yolks were hard. I love em.

Is that HP sauce on the plate with them?

I really like the soft boiled approach too. It looks like it'll give you more contrast with textures. Did you have any troubles breaking the eggs while wrapping them?

Revvy: It's Ballymaloe Country relish sauce, I'm not a big fan of HP. My new favourite is reggae reggae sauce, nice kick of scotch bonnet for a ketchup like sauce.

I didn't have any trouble not breaking them while wrapping. The trick to the soft boiled eggs is a new android app I got which works out the perfect egg, it even uses GPS to calculate your height to work out the timer, sizes them , everything you need for perfect eggs whatever you set them for every time.

They are far superior when soft boiled.

Revvy: It's Ballymaloe Country relish sauce, I'm not a big fan of HP. My new favourite is reggae reggae sauce, nice kick of scotch bonnet for a ketchup like sauce.

I didn't have any trouble not breaking them while wrapping. The trick to the soft boiled eggs is a new anroid app I got which works out the perfect egg, it even uses GPS to calculate your height to work out the timer, sizes them , everything you need for perfect eggs whatever you set them for every time.

They are far superior when soft boiled.

I love it an egg cooking android app!!!

I have a feeling I'll be trying the soft centered approach sometime soon.

I also mixed some of the sausage meat with a teaspoon of smoked spanish paprika which a friend brought me back recently, it's not scotch but it's tasty. So half of the batch was spiced and half not.

Smoked paprika makes everything better! I got the pertfect egg timer app for my iPhone awhile ago and haven't gotten around to trying it out. Now I have the perfect excuse:rockin:

Back