Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texag93

Reaction score
I've recently had two different scotch ales and loved them both (Sam Adams and one at a local brewery). I wanted to brew a scotch ale, but read that the fermentation temperature needs to be 50 - 60 degrees. I don't have the means to ferment that low, but I want to brew something similar. Maybe y'all can help me out...

What styles are similar in taste to scotch ale? With the wet towel + fan trick, I can ferment at around 68 - 70 degrees.

Thanks!!
Mike

WYEAST YEAST STRAIN: 1728 | Scottish Ale™

Ideally suited for Scottish-style ales, and high-gravity ales of all types. Can be estery with warm fermentation temperatures.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 69-73%
Temperature Range: 55-75° F (13-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 12% ABV

I brewed my scotch ale at ~55 degrees, came out fantastic! You could try a large tub of water and submerge frozen bottles to keep the temps down.

I have brewed two scottish ales in the low to mid 60s range with no problems.

I brewed my scotch ale at ~55 degrees, came out fantastic! You could try a large tub of water and submerge frozen bottles to keep the temps down.

My only problem with that method is you have to be around to switch up the bottle frequently. I was also only able to keep my temp at 65 and up with that method.
I was just looking for a good Scotch Ale recipe and came across this month's BYO which has a whole section dedicated to it along with a bunch of recipes. Everyone seems to agree that they need to be fermented cold (60, give or take a couple) to eliminate any esther production and really bring out the malt profile. But I say give it a shot with what you've got. If you can wait a couple months for colder days, then wait. If you wanna go with the ice bath, do it. If it ends up being a bit esthery, so be it. I'm sure you'll still enjoy it.

Thanks for y'alls advice. I think I'll take jacksonbrown's recommendation and wait until winter comes around to brew the Scotch. For now I'll try a Belgian Dubbel recipe that I found in the Radical Brewing book.

Thanks!
Mike

Back