Scotch Ale Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme70

Reaction score
I've had a 10 gal. batch of a strong scotch ale in my secondaries at 50 degrees for about 2 months (as per The Brewer's Bible), and I'm getting ready to bottle in about a week or so. My question is this, before priming, do I allow my ale to reach room temp first?

I probably would, but it probably doesn't really matter whether you do it before priming or after bottling, as long as you let it condition at room temp for a couple of weeks after bottling. I'd think that letting it warm to room temp before priming would rouse the yeast enough to help it carb better.

I would let it rise to the temperature you condition your bottles. I'm not sure of the physics, but bottling cold and letting it warm might prove disastrous. It might not be a problem though.

if you bottle cold remember to adjust your priming sugar to compensate for the extra co2 that stays dissolved from fermentation at lower temperatures.

Latest posts

Back