Scotch Ale Fermentation Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEPNew2Brew

Reaction score
Brewing up a Scotch/Scottish Ale tomorrow morning. I say Scotch/Scottish because the OG is expected to be 1.066, somewhat between an 80 shilling and a Wee Heavy.

Mashing at 154.

Using Wyeast 1728, Scottish Ale. Temp range is something like 55 to 70 degrees. Looking at Designing Great Beers, low (below 60) fermentation temps. are to style.

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions they would like to share with respect to fermentation temps for this ale/yeast? I am a bit worried about trying to keep fermentation temp in the 50s.

Thank you.

I just did a 1.042 80/-, and pitched 2 packs of 1728 into 5.7 gallons of wort at 57 F. I let it warm to 60 (took maybe a day), and held it there for about 2.5 days, then warmed it 2 degrees a day, and finished it out at 64 F after about 5 days. It's nice and clean.

I use 1728 a lot. It does fine even in the low 50s, but it can be slow. At any temp, it seems to benefit from being warmed 5-10 degrees as things slow down.

Back