Scoring in competitions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
So I was reading the results from the Kona competition (I got a 2nd out of 10 in Belgian specialty!) and I was wondering about how they decide if there's say one beer in a category, if it gets a 1st or a 2nd or whatever.

There was one beer listed in a category by itself and it got a 2nd place. Just wondering how they decide that.

Since BJCP competitions go by the style sheet, I'd guess it just wasn't a very good representation of the style.

david_42 said:
Since BJCP competitions go by the style sheet, I'd guess it just wasn't a very good representation of the style.

I was just wondering if they had a specific number to cut it off at for each place.

I know very little about this. But I thought I saw that they have a scoring system and you must hit a certain number for gold, silver, or bronze. So, maybe that one beer just did not score out high enough for a gold. But I could be wrong.

david_42 said:

That is my guess, too. There is no set score threshold for a certain medal. However, nothing requires the judges to award medals according to place, i.e., you do not have to give a first-place finisher a gold medal if it is not up to a gold medal standard.

TL

Back