Scored some groat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I use groats to brew or cook.

• Food - Groaty Dick

• Beer - Gimme a recipe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I can't decide whether to brew with them or eat them.
What do you think?

I need to research a brewing recipe.

Here's the food recipe I have come up with.

Groaty Pudding or Groaty Dick
0.5 lb groats
1 bay leaf
1.5 lbs shin of beef
Hot water to cover
1lb leeks
Salt and Pepper
2 medium sized onions

Cut the beef into bite-size pieces, slice the leeks and onions. Place all the ingredients in a stew jar or casserole dish and bake slowly for at least three hours, longer if possible. Serve with crusty bread. A thicker version of this, with more groats and less meat, was all some families could afford. It was spread on bread so that each member could have something warm and filling.​
(Marjorie says that groats are oats with the husks removed but before they are ground to produce oatmeal or steamed then rolled to make rolled oats or flakes. Groats have the highest nutritional value of any cereal.)​

Either option sounds good. If it wasn't coming from you, I'd think groaty dick was some kind of STD.

Something along the lines of an oatmeal stout maybe if you brew?

McKBrew said:
I'd think groaty dick was some kind of STD.
Yeah...my American brain is in the gutter, too.

I think you should try both! I would eat just a little, just to see what the flavor is like, then brew with the rest. I bet you could use them much like oatmeal in a recipe, but you'll surely have to accomplish a cereal mash, first.

McKBrew said:
If it wasn't coming from you, I'd think groaty dick was some kind of STD.

I expect you might think the same about "spotted dick," another well known UK concoction. :D

Insist on fresh spotted dick, the canned can't be as good!

Spotted_Dick-640x480.jpg

Evets said:
So, when exactly is Guy ****es Night? I have to make sure my Groaty Pudding is ready by then.
I wonder how you spelled that to hit the checker? :D

Orfy, I'd cook with 'em. That recipe sounds just like the kind of food that would become a staple in my house (those meat pies next to the black pudding in your other post piqued my interest). I think they'd just taste like any other kind of oats in your brew. The texture will come through in the Groaty Pudding.

Damn. Now you've made me hungry. :eek:

orfy said:
Have you guys not seen my spotted dick?
A few years ago, I saw a TV show (Extreme History with Roger Daltrey) where they prepared spotted dick aboard an old wooden warship. They poured the batter into a woolen sock before baking/steaming it.

First time I ever saw something cooked in a sock!

Evets said:
So, when exactly is Guy ****es Night? I have to make sure my Groaty Pudding is ready by then.

Well if my memory serves me correctly. Guy ****es tried to blow up the parliament, and for one reason or another we now celebrate this by setting off fireworks... It's still done even down here in New Zealand, and is the only time of year that you can buy fireworks. I only really know, because I always found it odd that we celebrated a guy almost blowing up a government building - however my dad says that it's a celebration of his hanging.

Edit: omg I spelt it correctly, I'm somewhat shocked that it was picked up by the censor thingy. F-@-W-K-E-S!!!! AHAHA I said something that sounds slightly like a swear word when slurred and perhaps after a few homebews!!!!

Evets said:
What's a groat?
It's the Black Country's second most famous contribution to world cuisine, after ******s.

[Edit] Ah, I see the naughty word detector doesn't like English food. The Black Country's most famous food rhymes with maggots. And is about as appetising.

Savoury Duck AKA - F@GGOTS

Wonderful food.

1 pigs liver - diced
1 pigs heart - diced
6 rashers streaky bacon - cut into strips
250g pork belly - diced
2 medium sized onions - peeled and sliced
1 egg
100g breadcrumbs
2 tsp of finely chopped fresh sage
Salt and pepper to taste
A large knob of butter