Score!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ize

Reaction score
I'm tickled-effin'-sh!tless right about now. We consolidated our 5 radio stations from two buildings into one this fall. Per my boss anything left behind is fair game. Whomever wants it, it's yours. I already put my dibs in on the old refrigerator at one of our old buildings, I just have to collect it. I'm planning on a two tapper setup...

But my other score came this morning. While going thru the upstairs of the other building, what did my unbelieving eyes come across? A filthy cooler that was a draft soda dispenser. 3 taps on the front, all the lines, a dual guage regulator, with all the lines still connected for the taps, the freaking wrench that goes with it... and a 20lb tank to boot.

From the looks of it, this thing has been upstairs for at least 18 years. It's covered in drywall, because the 100+ year old building it was in is crumbling around it. Some of it may be salvageable, some not, but the 20 pounder is worth the find alone. (It still has o2 in it!) I'll take some pics of it tonight after I get home because I want your guys input....

I'm in about freaking heaven... :rockin:

It even deserves a damn nanner IMHO. :ban:

Ize

That is a cool score. Since it has been out of use for around 18 years, I would imagine the tank needs to be re-hydro tested. Even if that is the case, that is a heck of a score.

Well, the workday turned out to be a ballbreaker, so I didn't get all I wanted accomplished, but the draft box, and the O2 tank are in the garage. Pix of them tomorrow. I did bring the regulator and the lines connected to it inside and gave them a preliminary water wipe-down and I'll be damned if they don't look pretty good! Pin-locks, but that's ok, the lines look OK, and the reg itself looks pretty good. I'm not kegging now, so lemme know what you guys think from what you see...

3414-RegResize01121207.jpg

3414-RegResize02121207.jpg

3414-RegResize03121207.jpg

Ize

Wow, might have to make the trip to Decatur after the beginning of the year. Oh and it's co2 right not o2?

We need a central IL get together like dem folks up nort are doin.

Only problem I can see with it is that the gauge for dispensing pressure is set up for coke (much higher psi) so it will be damn near impossible to dial into the 10-14 psi we use for home brew. Should be able to just get a new dial gauge though and screw it in.

:ban:

That is a nanner worthly score-congrats.

I agree with the previous post about replacing the low pressure guage, a 300 lb guage is still pretty high for a soda system.

btw, you can use a well pump pressure guage (0-100 lb) from Lowes or HD (< $10).

Drunkensatyr said:
Only problem I can see with it is that the gauge for dispensing pressure is set up for coke (much higher psi) so it will be damn near impossible to dial into the 10-14 psi we use for home brew. Should be able to just get a new dial gauge though and screw it in.

Cool. Exactly the type of info I need. It was part of a soda dispenser so that makes sense.

Ize

Other problem is that tank will be way out of date, so you will have to pay for a test. But, since it's free, it's still a deal.

You might still be able to exchange the tank and the place will absorb the cost of the hydro.

Now.. about that Central Illinois Brew Gettogether... lets set it up!!!

and.. what radio stations?

Ize said:
Cool. Exactly the type of info I need. It was part of a soda dispenser so that makes sense.

Ize

I have the same regulator. I bought it on Ebay, but didn't notice the low pressure reg. at the time. I have, however, been able to use it just fine. I'm able to dial it in to about 12 psi, I just don't adjust it at all now that it's set. When I carb, I just hook the keg up and wait a couple weeks for proper carbonation.

Hope that helps. Nice score, btw. :mug:

z987k said:
Wow, might have to make the trip to Decatur after the beginning of the year. Oh and it's co2 right not o2? We need a central IL get together like dem folks up nort are doin.

Yeah, it's co2, I was bein' lazy. I still have to come up there, you have the better beer selection in Chambana!

MrShake said:
You might still be able to exchange the tank and the place will absorb the cost of the hydro. Now.. about that Central Illinois Brew Gettogether... lets set it up!!! and.. what radio stations?

It's holding co2 now, so I'm thinking it's in pretty good shape. I'm gonna talk to the folks my BIL has his filled at and see what kind of deal I can finagle.

And yeah, I've felt like a desert here Central for a long time, nice to see more and more Central Illinois folks around! We need to chat for more planning! My big stations that hit Bloomington are Y103 and 95Q. We also have WSOY, 1340 AM, WDZ 1050 AM and Hot 105.5 if ya likes some Hip-Hop. :D

Flyin' Lion said:
I have the same regulator. I bought it on Ebay, but didn't notice the low pressure reg. at the time. I have, however, been able to use it just fine. I'm able to dial it in to about 12 psi, I just don't adjust it at all now that it's set. When I carb, I just hook the keg up and wait a couple weeks for proper carbonation. Hope that helps. Nice score, btw.

Thanks man, helps IMMENSELY. :rockin: I read a bunch on kegging last spring, and with the job change basically went brain dead. So I'm reading up again. HBT rocks as always!

I don't have pics of the tank and cold box tonight after all. SWMBO is under the WX and I'm on kid duty. :rolleyes: Definitely tomorrow tho!

Ize

Wow, that is awesome! Check around for a Fire Extinguisher service near you. They sometimes have cheaper prices on refills and Hydro testing. You'll have to take just about everything apart and clean, clean, clean. If the cooler itself is rusty, take the time to really clean it up and coat it with a rust converting primer (no cheapy rustoleum spray cans, that stuff doesn't work) and then use truck bed liner to protect it. It's really hard to do repairs like that after you start using it. Also be on the look out for evidence of mice (little poo pellets tell the story).

I wish I got cool stuff for free:(

The Draft Box and the Co2 tank are still out in the garage and freaking filthy, but I grabbed some pics while out getting stuff put up before the 6 to 8 inches of white crap falls here tomorrow. (Gawd I HATE snow) Anywho... a few of the beast, ignore the dirt and drywall dust...

3414-DraftBox5121407.jpg

3414-DraftBox2121407.jpg

3414-DraftBox1121407.jpg

Ize

Don't know what the gas situation is in decatur. Depke welding supply here in champaign filled my 5lb bottle, and they do swaps, so I bet they'd swap that bottle.

Looks like you have a S & J welding over there to. I was going to drop mine off to the one they have here, but they weren't open.

I'm definitely going to ask around. All of this was stored inside, but the building was crumbling down around it. (And it's not really drywall dust, it's plaster) But the stuff is actually in pretty decent shape. The tank included. I will get it tested tho. My BIL and SIL have a few good contacts as well...

And we need to start to figure out some sort of get together for all of us Centrals that are around! :rockin:

Ize

I agree... do we want to wait for spring or try a cold weather brew-to-gether? I wonder exactly how many we have from CIL or close.. maybe even put together a bulk buy of hops or grain.

I would take the faucets off of the box and put them on the fridge you scored, throw out all the hosing inside the box as it is probably useless and just work from there. The work should be fun, and you can have those faucets come right through the door of the fridge, the door might even be the same thickness as the cooler walls, now that would be cool.

Back