SCORE! 13gallon fermenters!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickWG

Reaction score
I work at a biotech that is downsizing and moving out a lot of stuff. They used to hold water (with TFA) in 13 gallon pyrex carboys and are moving to kegs cause it is cheaper. I asked my boss if I could have a couple of the carboys and he said take em! Now I'm well on the way to 10 gallon batch size fermentation! He even said I could have one of the wheeled rollers that go under the carboy!

Now all I need to do is find a big ass stopper with a hole in it for a blow off tube. Gonna have to ferment on a counter or something cause I ain't lifting it to syphon.
Hmmm, Gonna have to go with kegs now I guess.

Btw there are others if someone wants me to ask. He would probably let em go cheap.

13 gallons!? You're either going to need a pump or a hernia operation. :D

GaryA said:
13 gallons!? You're either going to need a pump or a hernia operation. :D

I actually got one of those 15 gallon plastic containers used for shipipng corn starch. I made a couple 12 gallon batches and was walking around with it. The hardest part is just getting under the thing. Once you have a good grip on it and its at waist level, there's no problem. Then again I'm 6'9 255lbs... so 12 gallons of beer really isnt that heavy. If you are like 5'9 180 it could be a different story. :D

remember.

LIFT WITH YOUR KNEES NOT YOUR BACK!!!!

Please PM me with the cost, location, etc. I'm a little wary of buying something that could very well shatter in transport, but this would be wonderful. I've got a 6 gallon carboy that just doesn't cut it anymore. : /

Edit: Please reserve one for me! : D

I live in San Diego guys. The Biotech is in Lajolla so anyone around here would be good to get one if there are more to be had. I'll check and see but can't gaurantee anything. I also just found out that I'm getting another job so won't be there very long. I might be on contract so there part time.

These things rock! Here's a link to the info. Says it fits a no 12 stopper

http://www.cardinal.com/mps/catalog/ASP/B7401-18.asp?cat=Laboratory&mfr=Kimble

hmm 13 gal too big for my needs but if you get some 5-6gal carboys I would in

Rick, I'd love to swing by and snag one if available! I live a few minutes from La Jolla in the Hillcrest area.

You're in for some serious trouble. That pyrex won't be able to withstand the stress of 10 gallons of liquid...as it is supported over a small surface area like your hands. All it would take is for you to put the full carboy down with a slight bump and you could see some serious glass flying. Go with one of those plastic conicals from usplastics.com.

RickWG said:
They used to hold water (with TFA) in 13 gallon pyrex carboys...
Hmmm... How much water did they have in them? I'd still love one to try out.

I'll buy, so get askin!

NitrouStang96 said:
Hmmm... How much water did they have in them? I'd still love one to try out.

I'll buy, so get askin!

They used to fill them up to at least ten gallons. In 5 years they only had one break and it was because someone dropped a wrench or something like that.

I'm a chemist and used to handling glassware. I believe they will be fine for fermenting. Need to put them in one place and ferment then move them after they are empty is all.

As for fermenter s, I found something like that at this guys place. He has hundreds of them, a 9.5 gallon white drum with a plastic screw top lid and a 19 gallon drum with handles! Awesome.

Thanks for the excitment guys. I spoke with my boss and he said he would have about 20 of them for sale. About a week or two from now. He didn't tell me how much they would be but it shouldn't be too expensive. I will keep everyone posted!

Anecdotal evidence time;
I have used these large carboys in lab, and in semi-industrial settings in the past, as I deal with waste water treatment. I have seen a number of them break, but never just because they were full. A few of the chemicals that I have received in these, mainly polymer flocculants that are denser than water. If you drop one of these on to grating in a paint kitchen, they sure make a heck of a mess though.

I would love to be able to get my hands on some of these, and I wish I brewed when I was around them consistently. I would even take the ones we got our hydrofloric acid in. They would be clean at least.

PYREX® 45.5L Solution Bottle with Tooled Neck (Product #1595-12)
These 45.5L (12 gallon) PYREX® solution bottles are similar in shape to a carboy.
Case List Price: $613.96 <---Seems like one comes to a case

Sounds like you could sell them to someone else at a higher price... Then again maybe it's like a lot of lab equipment that drops in price when used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150207533134

Back