Scorching!! Agh help plz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So I decided to use my new burner for my batch, it was the first time I used LME and just finished only to find scorching. My question is I know it will affect my beer, like everything will, but to what extent? Is there anything I can add/use/do at this point to help the beers flavor?? I figured keeping the wort moving and adding the LME slowly would be enough to prevent this but I was wrong unfortunantly. Oh well it a work in progress, chalk this up to lesson learned.

What style of beer did you make?
It happened to me once but I was making a big porter. I couldn't tell.

To my knowledge, there is nothing that you can do now to get rid of a scorched taste (if you in fact have a scorched taste).
I don't know much about LME, but I think that people add it very late (or maybe even at flame out) to avoid scorching.
Someone will comment further on that.

When I use LME, I

1) take pot off burner, or at least shut off flame, (all the way!)
2) Pour in LME while stirring lots
3) Stir lots more for a while, making sure to scrape around on the bottom
4) Return pot to heat.

Got scorching the first time when I didn't stir enough and left the heat on, but aces after that.

Pull it off the burner or kill the flame for a few minutes while you mix in the LME next time. That is what most of the things I've read advise. I used LME and DME and was able to avoid scorching on my propane burner through this method..

Cool thx for the advice, btw the style is a cocoa vanilla porter, I think between the vanilla, cocoa, chocolate malt, and carafe I malts it wont be to noticable but who knows. Oh well live and learn.

Cool thx for the advice, btw the style is a cocoa vanilla porter, I think between the vanilla, cocoa, chocolate malt, and carafe I malts it wont be to noticable but who knows. Oh well live and learn.

Oh perfect. I think it will fine.

Smogre where in Colorado you at? I ask cause I also live in Colorado and it would be good to know another brewer here, FYI I live in Arvada

Another option is to get a heat diffuser from a kitchen supply place. I use one for all my boils because there are a couple hot spots on my burner.

Back