Scorched Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it happened. Stupid mistake...

I was heating up some spare water to use during cleaning and went to pump it over to my BK. I forgot to turn off the element. I smelled burning...realized what I did... flipped the switch... and then glanced down at my glowing cherry red element in my HLT. I let it cool, but it's definitely scorched.

It's one of these: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/element5500_ripple_tc.htm

I haven't done much research yet because it happened late last night, but what are my options? Can it be cleaned? Should I cut my losses and just order another?

Well, it happened. Stupid mistake...

I was heating up some spare water to use during cleaning and went to pump it over to my BK. I forgot to turn off the element. I smelled burning...realized what I did... flipped the switch... and then glanced down at my glowing cherry red element in my HLT. I let it cool, but it's definitely scorched.

It's one of these: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/element5500_ripple_tc.htm

I haven't done much research yet because it happened late last night, but what are my options? Can it be cleaned? Should I cut my losses and just order another?

Similar problem

Um thats how @passedpawn cleans his ripple elements... whatever is on it should wipe right off at this point. as long as its not burned out just clean it off.. its stainless.

BTW I installed a $4 float switch in my HLT to prevent this from happening. it just wires up to the ground on my ssr control to switch it.. Its saved this from happening to me MANY times.

Um thats how @passedpawn cleans his ripple elements... whatever is on it should wipe right off at this point. as long as its not burned out just clean it off.. its stainless.

BTW I installed a $4 float switch in my HLT to prevent this from happening. it just wires up to the ground on my ssr control to switch it.. Its saved this from happening to me MANY times.

I'm not so sure my dryfire cleaning method works with SS. I have the incoloy elements. I still do that dryfire after every brewday (got one coming up tomorrow :) )

I'm not so sure my dryfire cleaning method works with SS. I have the incoloy elements. I still do that dryfire after every brewday (got one coming up tomorrow :) )

incoloy is still a form of stainless I believe. And I dont believe the surface matters as far as the element filament burning out. it might make a difference on how easy it cleans up though.

Can you send me a link to said float switch?

I took a stainless steel scrubber and some bar keepers friend and was able to clean a large majority of the discolored stuff off. There's only still a few spots and some slight discoloration, but definitely better.

I guess I'll give it another scrubbing, maybe soak it in some PBW overnight and see if it still works.

Your dry fire method has saved me from hours of scrubbing.

Your dry fire method has saved me from hours of scrubbing.
Hang on...are you recommending I intentionally dry fire my element and then spray it off?

...that’s what got me into this mess in the first place.

Hang on...are you recommending I intentionally dry fire my element and then spray it off?

If you read the posts above, you'll see that those with incoloy (gray) ULWD elements can dry fire to clean them. Works great. Yours is SS. Apparently doesn't work so great. Well, at least if you want them to remain shiney.

I dry fired mine about 3 times however still got another 3 brew days out of it before the element cracked mid boil. I did clean it with some 0000 steel wool the brew day that it cracked so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Well... I'm not going to recommend it because I don't want to be responsible for destroying your element, but I will say that I have done it several times after getting some serious scorching from brewing with a rye. I've been looking for an excuse to swap them out to SS (hate the rusting base), so I have been willing to take the risk. At the very minimum, I'm saying you don't have to toss your element.

Latest posts

Back