Scorched Element: How Clean Is Clean Enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
Cleaning up a scorched element and got all the char off, but the steel, itself, is still a bit blackened. Will that affect flavor going forward? Does the thing need to look shiny and brand new?
Thanks!

Just boil some water in it for bit, and for extra measure toss in a bit of DME, LME, spare wort or whatever to take care of anything left that might be chemically reactive... discard and rinse and you should be good to go.

Just boil some water in it for bit, and for extra measure toss in a bit of DME, LME, spare wort or whatever to take care of anything left that might be chemically reactive... discard and rinse and you should be good to go.
Sounds good, Broken Crow. Thanks!

Just don't do this if your element is not a ULWD (ultra low wattage density) like mine. I think all the ripple elements are ULWD.
And don't do it with the stainless elements. I don't think they will handle it well.
Cheers! Mine is SS, but if this happens again, I might make the switch. I think I got mine pretty clean, your method looks a LOT easier than replacing these at $75 a pop

Just don't do this if your element is not a ULWD (ultra low wattage density) like mine. I think all the ripple elements are ULWD.
And don't do it with the stainless elements. I don't think they will handle it well.
why not?

Mine is SS. I think ULWD but not sure. 1650watt 110v.

But I just soak mine for a while, spray with easy off, metal scouring pad. takes some effort when stuff is bunrt on but eventually comes clean. But I only have issues when sugars are in the mix, like DME and such.

Never get anything hard cooked on the element when just all grain and hops.

why not?

Mine is SS. I think ULWD but not sure. 1650watt 110v.

Years ago, somebody with SS element told me they knew from experience that the SS ones don't survive a dry-fire. I've never had one of those, so I haven't tried it myself. I've made hundreds of batches with the elements I have, so I know they survive the burn.

Maybe the SS stay cleaner than incoloy. No idea. Seems plausible though.

Back