Scoby Sour Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Long story short, my wife is now making kombucha. After reading up on how to do it, and then teaching her, I got to thinking that it sounds like it's the good kind of bacteria that make this stuff, so why wouldn't it work on wort. I want to do a brown berliner weisse in the near future, and now I'm wondering if I could just use this to get the sour. I believe this culture is a mixture of wild yeast and bacteria, so I'm wondering if that would help with the complaint about BWs being a bit one dimensional on the sour notes.

What do you guys think? Anybody done this before?

A large proportion of the "mother" culture used for Kombucha is Acetobacter, which is not very beer friendly. A Berliner Weisse gets its light sour character from lactic acid.

Acetobacter produces acetic acid (vinegar), which would be inappropriate in a true Berliner. There is acetic character in many other sours, especially Duchesse De Bourgogne, so maybe you could go that route instead of making a BW.

Back