SCOBY grown from Lindemans Cuvee Rene Dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

feruscultures

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago I was drinking a bottle of Lindemans Cuvee Rene and decided to pour the dregs from the bottle, about 1.5 cups of the cloudy/yeasty (I'm assuming), into a sterile mason jar with about 2 cups of unhopped wort with an OG of about 1.040. Fast forward 2 weeks later and what appears to be a SCOBY has formed, I'll see if I can get a decent photo of it up tonight.

Has anyone ever tried doing this before with any beer not solely fermented by sacchromyces? I'm not incredibly surprised that this worked, but a little hesitant to try the liquid. Smells like acetic acid, so I'm assuming its made kombucha.

I'm interested in using the mother to sour wort prior to boiling to make a quick sour beer. Right now I'm drinking a bottle of Lindemans Framboise and will probably try pitching the dregs to see if I get a similar result.

OP
feruscultures

feruscultures

Reaction score
Sorry for the crappy picture quality, I don't have a decent camera or lighting in the house.

kyt

Reaction score
Yes the pellicle does resemble one produced by acetobacter.
Sure you could use the liquid to sour beers, but it's technically not kombucha since it wasn't made with tea.
If you're going to use it in a beer, I would imagine you'd want to complete primary normally, then add your sour bugs into a secondary vessel. But whatever you do, once you put the sour bugs in it, you won't want to ever use it to make non-sour beer again. You can never be sure some aren't living in a scratch some where you can't clean.
Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

train54

Reaction score
Any updates here? Sounded interesting... I’d like to see those photos if possible too.

Thanks, cheers!