schwarzbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootay

Reaction score
I brewed jamil's schwarzbier 9 days ago:

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/8bbebaa3/

I have my fermentation chamber set at 52 degrees. it cools to 47 then it warms up to 52 and then cools back down again. average temp should be right around 50 degrees. My SG was 1.054, and right now its at 1.021. This is my first lager, i just wanted to make sure everything sounds like its running the right route. i didnt notice any airlock activity just now, but when checking the gravity i could see a bubble pop up every now and again so it seems fermentation is still chugging along slowly. RDWHAHB right?

What temperature controller? Do you have a small fan to circulate air inside the freezer?

Is the temperature probe against the carboy wall under insulation?

What is the differential set to for the controller if it's a digital one?

If it's at 1.021 you can warm it up to 65 or so now for your diacetyl rest. Or else just take it out and leave it at room temperature for a week. Once you've confirmed that it's hit FG, you can rack it off the yeast and take your chamber to lagering temperatures--you can either just crash it, or some prefer to go five degrees per day.

Dsmith - its a johnson digital. right now i do not have a fan inside, but it doesnt run long to cool it down. the temperature probe is wrapped saran wrap and duct taped to be water proof. i then have this stuck down in a jug of water. i cant remember what the differential is set at, i would guess 5 degrees since it cools down to 47 then it warms back up to 52, then cools back down to 47 etc

osgaedr, malticulous - sounds good to me! ill pull it out today and probably start a pilsner in the next couple days.

Don't worry about the four degree shift. The five gallons in the fermenter will not change temperature as fast as the air. It will be pretty consistent. You should moniter the temperature of the beer, not the air.

Putting your probe in a jug of water is fine for a kegerator, but in a fermentation setting, you should be monitoring the temperature of the beer. Fermentation puts off heat, so the beer is likely several degrees warmer than that water. At least, in my very limited experience (first lager ever is in the ferm chamber right now), that's what I've noticed.

Back