Schneider Weisse Tap 4 - Wiesen Edel-Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Zwerg

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this beer? I've also seen it referred to as "Meine Festweisse" although I'm not completely certain they're the same beer. I've managed to buy bottles of it a couple of times in San Francisco, but the quality varies a lot (presumably because of transit/age). When it's good, it's amazing - it is a weizen, but always had an unusual quality. Doing some reading online it looks like it uses NZ Cascade hops, and presumably this is the unique character I noticed.

Is anyone familiar with other weizens that have a subtle hop character (as opposed to none at all)? Has anyone experimented with this? Seems like it would be easy to overdo it, but when it's right it's great...
ci-schneider-tap-4-organic-georg-schneiders-weisen-edel-weisse-3b2fa39e1f3036ff.png

monkeymath

Reaction score
When I read the title, I thought "wtf": Tap4 is called "Meine Festweiße" and Schneider is "not* represented at the Oktoberfest (aka Wies'n), so the name doesn't make much sense to me.

Schneider also has a Tap5 "Hopfenweiße" featuring a ton of Saphir. That beer is much closer to "too much", I'd say.

I don't have any input for this beer in particular, but a friend of mine loves Hefeweizen with Nelson Sauvin. I haven't tried it myself yet, but Nelson works beautifully in Saison and I can picture it working its magic in a Hefeweizen as well. But make sure to keep the bitterness low!

OP
Zwerg

Zwerg

Reaction score
Thanks for the input - I will look into the Nelson Sauvin idea!

If anyone has any sense of what the right quantity of hops would be to achieve a good balance, I'm all ears...