Scared the crap outta myself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbob

Reaction score
Brewed a big RIS yesterday evening/this morning. 21.5# of grain mashed in two batches BIAB 5gal kettle. Once I got it boiled down to final volume i pulled a sample to test OG. Cooled it to about 150F and got impatient so I took a reading. Oh no it was SO LOW, like 20-30 points low! And, it was only going to get LOWER as it cooled! I started looking when the LHBS was going to open in the morning to get some LME, looking at home much bottling sugar I had lying around, or something to salvage this thing.

After my freak out I went back to my jar with the hydrometer sitting in it, and it was only about 4 points low, it had cooled to about 80F in the mean time...

Gravity goes UP is the liquid cools, DOH! So much for all that chemistry I took in college; when beer is at stake all prior training goes out with window!

I actually ended up getting a little better efficiency that I had anticipated.

did the same today with my "Late Season" SWMBO spice ale. I checked the gravity out of the mash tun and it was 10 points low, thought about sugar but decided to let it ride, checked a cool sample going into the fermenter and i was actually above what i hoped. SWMBO did her first mash by her self and beat my best efficiency.

Back