Scaling up recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

I tried searching for this topic, because I'm sure it's been raised before, but I was inundated with people looking for scales. Call it an unfortunate issue with the English language.

Anyway, I found this recipe on here and I'd like to scale it up, just a little, to 6 gallons. I brewed my first 6 gallon batch the other week and I'm in love. I know it's not the most efficient use of resources, but having the ability to dump 1/2 a gallon of boil with the trub makes the beer clearer and the whole processs much more pleasant.

Back on topic. I know scaling recipes is not linear, but I don't know how to do it exactly. Is there a calculator I can use, for example?

Thanks!

Hello all,

I tried searching for this topic, because I'm sure it's been raised before, but I was inundated with people looking for scales. Call it an unfortunate issue with the English language.

Anyway, I found this recipe on here and I'd like to scale it up, just a little, to 6 gallons. I brewed my first 6 gallon batch the other week and I'm in love. I know it's not the most efficient use of resources, but having the ability to dump 1/2 a gallon of boil with the trub makes the beer clearer and the whole processs much more pleasant.

Back on topic. I know scaling recipes is not linear, but I don't know how to do it exactly. Is there a calculator I can use, for example?

Thanks!

It's more than close enough in small volumes like this to just scale up. You can half a batch, double a batch, or even reduce it to one gallon. There isn't any problem doing that. For a 6 gallon batch, just scale it up.

I know scaling recipes is not linear

Actually, it's generally pretty linear. The recipe you posted doesn't look too complicated or have any unusual ingredients, so for 5 gallon batches to 6 gallons, you can pretty much just increase everything by 20% and call it a day.

Edit: I see the recipe you linked to is 5.5 gallons. Just increase it by ~9%. Doesn't need to be exact, approximations generally work. (Ex. use 8.75lbs pale malt instead of the scaled up calculation of 8.7272).

The grist scales linearly because malt gives you parts per unit of measurement (usually parts per gallon).

Hops, not so much. There are a lot of variables with hops that make scaling a *****. But with the kind of scaling you're talking about, it's not worth obsessing over. If you were going from 5 gallons to 7 bbl or vice versa, well, that's different.

Cheers,

Bob

Back