Scaling Brewer's Friend Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhedrick83

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did my first non kit brew yesterday and it was a scaled version of a recipe I found on Brewer's Friend. For some reason, the OG on my scaled version recipe is higher than on the original. All I did was use the "Scale" recipe tool on Brewer's Friend.

Original: Permission Error | Brewer's Friend OG 1.049

Scaled: 2 Gallon Cow | Cream Ale Partial Mash Beer Recipe at Brewer's Friend OG 1.057

My OG when I was done was 1.048. So, basically what the original recipe had. My question is why the difference in the scaled version projection? I just want to make sure I understand it so when I scale more I have a good understanding of the target OG. Seeing as how I basically hit the Original recipe OG, I'm not worried about this batch, just trying to gather knowledge.

I use Brewers Friend to scale recipes too but I’m far from an expert. I’m not sure why it happens but I sometimes find an OG difference and so tweak the base malt to get it where I want it to be.
Another factor is your efficiency. BF defaults to 70% I believe, but if you keep track of your efficiency as you go, you can adjust that setting too as needed.

That’s part of what I’m not sure of. I basically got the original projected OG when I brewed it. So, was that chance or did something get funky with the scaling even though it was done automatically.

I did my first non kit brew yesterday and it was a scaled version of a recipe I found on Brewer's Friend. For some reason, the OG on my scaled version recipe is higher than on the original. All I did was use the "Scale" recipe tool on Brewer's Friend.

Original: Permission Error | Brewer's Friend OG 1.049

Scaled: 2 Gallon Cow | Cream Ale Partial Mash Beer Recipe at Brewer's Friend OG 1.057

My OG when I was done was 1.048. So, basically what the original recipe had. My question is why the difference in the scaled version projection? I just want to make sure I understand it so when I scale more I have a good understanding of the target OG. Seeing as how I basically hit the Original recipe OG, I'm not worried about this batch, just trying to gather knowledge.

Very weird, I iust scaled your recipe up in BF and OG stayed the same...didnyou scale by volume or efficiency?

One of the “recipe tools” says “scale” and you can put if your final volume target and it scales everything for you. That’s what I did. I’m just trying to sort of the scaling can be trusted for some of that. You know, should I trust the original recipe stats as targets or the scaled versions. Or was this just a glitch in the matrix. I guess we will see how the brew tastes when it’s done in a week.

Back