Scaling an AG recipe for size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MrBJones

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like recipes that have an after-boil volume of six gallons; 5.5 goes into the fermenter (leaving most of the trub behind), and then later bottle five gallons of (relatively) clear beer. Quite a few recipes though are five gallon...to convert to six, would all ingredients - each grain, each hops, and water - simply be increased by 20%?
Thanks

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the short answer: "yep!"

The long answer (what I would do) is to enter the recipe into my brewing software and to adjust the amounts to hit the target volumes, gravities, IBUs, etc. for my system, process and efficiency.

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like recipes that have an after-boil volume of six gallons; 5.5 goes into the fermenter (leaving most of the trub behind), and then later bottle five gallons of (relatively) clear beer. Quite a few recipes though are five gallon...to convert to six, would all ingredients - each grain, each hops, and water - simply be increased by 20%?
Thanks
I'd like that half gallon from every batch you make because that trub you leave behind would make nearly half a gallon of beer and when fermentation was over and I left the beer sit for 3 weeks, I would have nearly half a gallon of clear beer. That trub that you throw out is mostly wort.

hottpeper13

Reaction score
I put that 1/2 to 1 gal of trub in my pitcher and into the lager chamber overnite, then decant into an old LME jug,freeze it,then boil it for a starter. No wasted wort,clean wort into fermenter,and no buying DME for starters! Win,Win,Win!

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like recipes that have an after-boil volume of six gallons; 5.5 goes into the fermenter
FYI, I target about the same volumes. 6.0 gals of near boiling wort shrinks to around 5.75 gals of chilled wort and I plan for 0.25 gals for hop absorption or trub loss. 5.5 gals into the fermenter yields about 5.0 gals into a keg. I don't know how much of that 0.5 gals is yeast, trub/break or is converted to CO2 and sent out the airlock. I would really have to work to get another pint of beer out of the bottom of my fermenter.

OP
MrBJones

MrBJones

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
FYI, I target about the same volumes. 6.0 gals of near boiling wort shrinks to around 5.75 gals of chilled wort and I plan for 0.25 gals for hop absorption or trub loss. 5.5 gals into the fermenter yields about 5.0 gals into a keg. I don't know how much of that 0.5 gals is yeast, trub/break or is converted to CO2 and sent out the airlock. I would really have to work to get another pint of beer out of the bottom of my fermenter.
Exactly!

Beermeister32

Reaction score
I always overbuild a recipe. The first 5 cleaner gallons goes into the Carboy.

Final 3/4 to 1 gallon of crud, sludge, cold break, glop, slop and grunge ferments seperately. Makes 5 bottles of weirder beer, sometimes good, sometimes toss.
705818A2-D6F6-4EA8-834B-1D4EC34C5A4E.jpeg

Last edited: