Scaling an AG recipe for size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
I like recipes that have an after-boil volume of six gallons; 5.5 goes into the fermenter (leaving most of the trub behind), and then later bottle five gallons of (relatively) clear beer. Quite a few recipes though are five gallon...to convert to six, would all ingredients - each grain, each hops, and water - simply be increased by 20%?
Thanks

I agree with the short answer: "yep!"

The long answer (what I would do) is to enter the recipe into my brewing software and to adjust the amounts to hit the target volumes, gravities, IBUs, etc. for my system, process and efficiency.

I like recipes that have an after-boil volume of six gallons; 5.5 goes into the fermenter (leaving most of the trub behind), and then later bottle five gallons of (relatively) clear beer. Quite a few recipes though are five gallon...to convert to six, would all ingredients - each grain, each hops, and water - simply be increased by 20%?
Thanks
I'd like that half gallon from every batch you make because that trub you leave behind would make nearly half a gallon of beer and when fermentation was over and I left the beer sit for 3 weeks, I would have nearly half a gallon of clear beer. That trub that you throw out is mostly wort.

I like recipes that have an after-boil volume of six gallons; 5.5 goes into the fermenter

FYI, I target about the same volumes. 6.0 gals of near boiling wort shrinks to around 5.75 gals of chilled wort and I plan for 0.25 gals for hop absorption or trub loss. 5.5 gals into the fermenter yields about 5.0 gals into a keg. I don't know how much of that 0.5 gals is yeast, trub/break or is converted to CO2 and sent out the airlock. I would really have to work to get another pint of beer out of the bottom of my fermenter.

FYI, I target about the same volumes. 6.0 gals of near boiling wort shrinks to around 5.75 gals of chilled wort and I plan for 0.25 gals for hop absorption or trub loss. 5.5 gals into the fermenter yields about 5.0 gals into a keg. I don't know how much of that 0.5 gals is yeast, trub/break or is converted to CO2 and sent out the airlock. I would really have to work to get another pint of beer out of the bottom of my fermenter.

Exactly!

I always overbuild a recipe. The first 5 cleaner gallons goes into the Carboy.

Final 3/4 to 1 gallon of crud, sludge, cold break, glop, slop and grunge ferments seperately. Makes 5 bottles of weirder beer, sometimes good, sometimes toss.
705818A2-D6F6-4EA8-834B-1D4EC34C5A4E.jpeg

Last edited:
Back