Scaling a recipe for efficiency and size in Beer Smith - % are very different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In Beer Smith, I scaled a recipe for lower efficiency (90% to 75%) and bigger size (5 gal to 5.25 gal) and the percentages are quite different. Since I had the check box checked, I know it has to adjust to match OG, color, etc, but it seems these will be two different recipes. Should I trust BS’s scaling or should I make some adjustments?

8Z0iOoE.jpg

So now I scaled it without having that check box checked to match OG, color and bitterness and now the percentages match and the OG and IBUs are the same and the color went from 5.2 to 5.9. I'm assuming that won't make a difference, correct?

So it looks like the change in percentages were just to make the color match.

So now I scaled it without having that check box checked to match OG, color and bitterness and now the percentages match and the OG and IBUs are the same and the color went from 5.2 to 5.9. I'm assuming that won't make a difference, correct?

So it looks like the change in percentages were just to make the color match.

Yes, that would be my guess as well. The difference between 5.2 and 5.9 in color is insignificant. It shouldn't change at all, though.

Back